Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hopefully there is someone out there who can give me some advice. :praying:

I got my 1979 GL 1000 last December. I haven't had any issues with it until today. I went to go to school, turned the key and everything was normal, dash lights lit up(oil and neutral light), headlight came on, everything was fine. As soon as I hit the starter button, everything died and now nothing comes on when I turn the key on.:?

I have checked the main fuse by the battery and it is good. Any ideas on what I should test next and how I should test it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

azwildcat97 wrote:
Hopefully there is someone out there who can give me some advice. :praying:
I'll save the advise for later. Sounds like dirty or loose battery cables/clamps. The draw from the starter probably opened the poor connection. Clean, tighten, and try again.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Okay, I feel pretty dumb right now. :sadguy:

After cleaning the battery cables and clamps I decided to test the voltage(the battery is a year old, I ride the bike almost daily and have a battery tender on it when I am out of town and not taking the bike) so I figured that wasn't the problem. Before turning the ignition on I got a reading of 10.95 V and after turning the ignition on it drops to about .5V. It doesn't make sense to me that its the battery since I rode it earlier today with no problems....Does it sound like its just the battery to you or something more and the battery is just a contributing factor?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
have you check stator output?

check that and the connections the three yellow wires forwrad of the battery box.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
sounds like loose connections at the battery to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.