Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys, i just bought this and battery is new, selinoid is new, and when try to start it does NOTHING. You can feel the selinoid trying to kick on. Motor makes no noise. Guy said he was driving and like 50 ft later he stalled it and then didnt come back on. I just need to know is the motor locked up or what? Fast replyneeded PLEASE help!I am REAL new to this Bike thing but the thing is beautiful and really wish i can fix it! Please help asap

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Also IF i need to buy anything for it wheres the best place to do so? Let me know please thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

+1 on the push start thing, then you will know you have an engine thats not locked up, if it turns go to looking for the reason its not turning by the starter, first the battery connections then the other things such as solenoid, fuses etc.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I would first check to see if you are getting 12V to the starter motor. Make sure the motor is grounded. I know it seems silly, but I have seen old rusty greasy motors that even though they were touching metal to metal, there was no electrical connection. If you get 12V to the starter motor when you push the starter button, then either the starter is bad, or the motor is locked up. IF the motor is locked up, the starter will get REAL hot REAL quick. I don't recommend trying to push start it, a Goldwing is a bit big to push start safely, especially if the motor IS locked up. Remove the plugs, put it on the centerstand, put it in first, and turn the back wheel. If the motor turns over, the problem is either a bad starter, or the starter is not getting power.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Awesome you guys are awesome, ill do that all today after work! Thanks alot any more input is welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Major cause for lockup on these engines is hydro lock caused by fuel running into a cyclinder when the engine is not running and not alowing the piston to go up in the cyclinder. to check for this pull all the spark plugs and try crank the engine. Do not stand beside the bike or you will get a gas shower and it is a good practice to turn the kill switch to off so you dont create a flame thrower.
This is not a searious problem but must be adressed. You should alway turn off the engine petcock on a bike that does this when stopped even for a short time. Or you may be walking home.
Other conserns are you will dilute the oil so an oil change is advised after this happens. And do not try to rotate the engine with the plugs in if it's hydo locked you may bend a connecting rod. There is no way of getting it to turn over other than pulling plugs.
The problem is caused most likely by leaky float valves. so these may need cleanning very caerfully " very easy to damage or replacing with honda only replacements as aftermarket valves and seats seem to be junk
Wilf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.