Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello guys,

I just bought a 1979 honda goldwing for 300 bucks, it ran when I picked it up, I won't say that it ran well but it ran. It was hard to get the bike to idle without dying. So 4 dollars later and 4 plugs installed into the bike, and it fired up no problem... except the carbs are in need of tuning.

What is more worrysome to me at this point in time is the bike is leaking oil... and it is leaking alot. I would say if you counted it out... 1 drop every six seconds or so from the bottom of the front end of the motor.

I changed the oil, and the oil filter to ensure it wasn't the seal inside the oil filter housing. I cannot really pinpoint where it is coming from or what its gonna take to stop the leak... I do know it is in the front most area around where the filter housing is.

Any ideas???

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

FortWayne_Winger wrote:
Hello guys,
I changed the oil, and the oil filter to ensure it wasn't the seal inside the oil filter housing. I cannot really pinpoint where it is coming from or what its gonna take to stop the leak... I do know it is in the front most area around where the filter housing is.
Any ideas???
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet FortWane_Winger:waving:

I'd recommend cleaning the engine down with a degreaser like Gunk Engine Cleaner or similar to make it easier to see where it's coming from. What condition is the rubber seal around the base of the filter cover?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello Winger; I'd guess your front cover gasket is leaking. Its not that hard to remove , but i don't know where to buy one. Ive had mine off a few times and I've been lucky to reuse mine [with the help of some silicone] .I followed removal procedure in clymer manual but left waterpump on cover so I didn't risk seal problem there also. good luck, finner

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well I will add that too... there are some wires going into the cover next to the filter cover... that area where the wires are going in has been heavily siliconed up...

I am wondering if this is going to be as simple as removing the front cover and replacing a gasket or a seal in the front cover area??? Every once in a while I do get 1 drop of out out of the back side... but it maybe just running along the bottom to the back and then dripping off... it drips the front side again 1 drop every six seconds i get 1 drop every 6 hours from the back probably.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

mine is a 1975 gl1000 and it has no wires into the cover but there are o-rings inside the cover so you might want tolook for a gasket kit.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

It does sound like the front cover. Also make sure first that the leak isn't coming from under the timing belt covers and rolling down. Camshaft seals have been know to leak on Goldwings.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

thanks for the help so far guys... i do not know alot about the engine on my wing, so I believe I might just take it to a honda dealership and see if their service people can help me out a little.

i'll keep you posted on the situation:?

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey FortWayne_Winger :waving:Greetings to the Best Goldwing Forum on the net.

Hope these guys can get your wing sorted for you. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thank you guys again for your help... I tracked down the culprit of my leaking gl1000 motor... I bought it a few weeks back from someone that had bought it back in 98... the guy who had it prior to me added an addon module to tell him the exact gear he was in at all times.

I myself know how to count to 5, but for someone who doesn't know this, that might be a great addition.

The addon module required him to drill a hole in the front of the case next to the oil filter cover... to run the wiring for it... he did his best to silicon it to keep it from leaking however it still was leaking, so someone after that had put some more silicon... pretty shotty job at it, but it continued to leak. After a can of engine degreaser and some high temperature flexible silicon I have sealed up my leak.

thanks!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear you got it fixed. BTW Harleys leak oil, Goldwings occasionally fail to retain oil.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

well at the point this was not retaining... it was really not retaining...when i dug the shotty silicon job out it really started gushing... so I descided to drain the reservoir completely seal it up with some high temperature silicon and waited to it to set up before adding oil back to the reservoir.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.