Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I bought a running 84 gl1200a a couple years ago. It was smoking white smoke so I assumed head gasket. So I decided to tear whole bike down and rebuild her. Due to health problems I now have a 75% torn down bike and not able to proceed with my plans.

What would a bike (58,000miles) be worth in this condition? What would be best way of selling her?
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I would advertise it for sale on the GL1200 GoldWings site, here:

http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/index.php

That is a GL1200-specific site so those folks are a very good target market for you.

Put your ad in the "Parts or Bikes for Sale" forum. It's about 3/4 of the page down on their home page.

List it just like you said, a project bike. Describe condition in detail and whether or not any parts are missing. Upload some pics of the big pieces if you can.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought one rough, and not running for $500.

Engine runs good after 20 hrs in the carbs, timing belts, plugs, new gas tank, fork seals, new tires, rebuilt calipers, brake pads, soldered stator wires, dog-bone fuse mod, etc. I probably got $1700 into it total. So if it needs work, it won't bring too much. i've seen drivers on E-bay for $1400.

My rat wing, before disassembly:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Mike,

The other option is to part it out. Since it's already mostly torn down, just sell the individual parts separately.

You'll probably make more money parting it out than selling it as a project bike in one chunk.

Use the GL1200 site and other Gold Wing sites and list it as "Parting Out GL1200" in the for sale section of the forum.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mike,

The other option is to part it out. Since it's already mostly torn down, just sell the individual parts separately.

You'll probably make more money parting it out than selling it as a project bike in one chunk.

Use the GL1200 site and other Gold Wing sites and list it as "Parting Out GL1200" in the for sale section of the forum.

Good call, there seems to be a great demand for gl 1200 parts. As I discovered on E-Bay, if you have a LH side cover you have a $150 - $240 piece of plastic "gold"!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.