Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey guys. my 80 gl 1100 is running really rich. when i go wot. it blows black smoke out the pipes. and even after a long easy cruze the ends of the pipe are black. i ran some sea foam thru it but didnt help. at stop lights its so rich the fumes are terrible. and my buddies dont want to follow me because of the fumes.i was wondering if a sync will help, or should i just have them rebuilt? any help would be awesome. its not a huge problem but i like my bike to be running perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

A little history please. When did it start doing this? How did it happen (all of a sudden or gradually)? Have you done anything to it before or since it started running rich?

Bad fumes @ stoplights says it's loading up. I'd recommend pulling the plugs to see if they're all black and sooty or possibly only 1 or 2 of them. May be ignition problem (plugs/coils/wires/boots).

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

well iv only had the bike 2 seasons. it was always rich but seems to be getting worse. i really dont think its ignition, it runs too smooth. just runs rich. one thing is that there is no cross over pipe and the left exhaust pipe leeks a bit.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

My guess is the float levels are too high. Also, have you checked the air filter?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Black smoke..oil?? bad rings or valve seals?? check compression...if below 130 that could be your problem.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

yes the air cleaner is good. black smoke is not oil. blue smoke is oil.
can the mixture screws and floats be adjusted externaly? i'v rebuilt some motors in my days but never really messed with carbs too much.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

the mexture screws -- yes . the float levels , the carbs have to come off to be adjusted. see randdacks site for more info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.