Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,
I'm just trying to start this 1980 GW1100 I. I had carbs rebuilt recently by a shop. New plugs. Refurbished radiator. Changed oil. Found broken wire at coil, repaired it. New battery. New fuel filter. Various new lines & hoses. I've double checked the dummy stuff--switches, petcock, etc. The bike turns over, carbs seem to be working, choke cable operates, but I grounded plugs to case & I have no spark. Bike had not been ridden since 2007. Looking for help on the diagnoses.
Thanks
P.S. I've removed the fairing, & I'm also wondering if the electrical connection to the radio & the rest in the fairing is needed for starting.

·
Registered
211 Posts
check for 12v going to coils. check ballast resistor. spark units under faux tank. dumb question: is the kill switch on or off and have you tried to start with the clutch handle in and out?

·
Administrator
27,886 Posts
Kill switch would be my first item to check.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
what does the battery charge look like ?
have checked for a connector that is not plugged to gather ?
yes it should run with the fairing off .

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Welcome to the forum Patriccio, since you repaired a wire at the coils, that would be where I would start looking. Misplaced wire? Wire still broken? Have you ever seen it running? Bike will start and run fine without the fairing so don't worry about that. Please keep us informed of your progress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1980 GW no spark

Thanks guys! I stated in the first paragraph that I had checked the dummy stuff--switches, clutch in & out, petcock, fuel filter, key, etc.
Tomorrow I plan on tracing wiring back & forth from wherever to wherever.
One 5 amp fuse had popped, so I disconnected the wiring from the tail light. Main 30 amp fuse near battery looks fine, & dash lights work. Turn signals are disconnected, but there may be a short.
I have multi meter for 110/220 electric, & so I'm not sure what is best diagnostic tool for this mystery. Suggestions on tools?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
a cheap volt-omh metter with a 12 volt scale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.