Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 1980 Goldwing is starting to get a little loud. Anybody ever hear of refilling, repacking, or any way to service the insides of an exhaust system to return it to the quietness I like?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

That's kinda what I thought. There is a rivet at the very end of the pipe. I wonder if removing that and the "sleeve" it keeps in place and packing something around that and reinstalling it would be possible. Not sure what the inside looks like.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

rgray wrote:
That's kinda what I thought. There is a rivet at the very end of the pipe. I wonder if removing that and the "sleeve" it keeps in place and packing something around that and reinstalling it would be possible. Not sure what the inside looks like.
That is exactly what I did. I pulled out the stinger baffles and packed new muffler packing around them and reinstalled. It is noticeably quieter now. You can get new muffler packing at most bike shops. I bought moose brand and one roll was enough for both sides.

Be careful when you pull out the baffles. They may be very tight.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks AndyB. It's good to hear that someone else gave it a shot and succeded.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,321 Posts
imported post

AndyB wrote:
rgray wrote:
That is exactly what I did. I pulled out the stinger baffles and packed new muffler packing around them and reinstalled. It is noticeably quieter now. You can get new muffler packing at most bike shops. I bought moose brand and one roll was enough for both sides.

Be careful when you pull out the baffles. They may be very tight.
I wonder if that would work on my GL12?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Dennis, does the 1200 have removable baffles? Look on the bottom of the tail pipe and see if it has a screw or rivet holding the baffle in. If so, you should be able to remove it and rewrap it.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,321 Posts
imported post

AndyB wrote:
Dennis, does the 1200 have removable baffles? Look on the bottom of the tail pipe and see if it has a screw or rivet holding the baffle in. If so, you should be able to remove it and rewrap it.
It has rivets...cool.

Thanks Andy.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I pulled one baffle out of a broken muffler and about destroyed the pipe doing it. How did you get your baffles out after you removed the rivet?

Gerry

<///><

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i put a set of the harley electra glides on my trike and it sounds good if you leave the plugs in it's pretty quite. but i have a muffler system i just pulled from my new 1200 trike project for sale they were pretty quite and i just pulled them off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.