Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,
I just bought a 1980 Gl1100 Goldwing with 65000 miles on it and had been sitting over 3 years in a garage and would not run. The previous owner said it needed a starter and the front forks rebuilt. I thought if its just a starterI should be able to handle that not knowing anything about Goldwings. So I bought it and went on line to get a Honda Goldwing service manual, which I did and low and behold it said I had to remove the engine! I sure did not want to do that! So I went on line and found

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums What a blessing! I not only found out I did not have to pull the engine but were to buy a starter or parts for a starter. So I googled Stockers and ordered a used starter, (I had taken mine off the bike and it was completely destroyed inside) The next day I received a call from EMS (Electric Motor service) and they said they had bought out Stockers in California and would be shipping from West Virginia. That was Ok by me as I would receive the starter sooner. I got the rebuilt starter and installed it (put in new oil and gas before that also a new battery as well as rebuilt the carbs) as soon as I hit the start button the bike started did not run real good but it was running, let it warm up and shut it off.
Now the problem really started, I went to start it again and the starter would not turn the engine over just made a whirling sound. Back to the forum and seen what to do to get the starterto engage the motor, which I followed very closely it worked at first then the starter would do nothing at all, so I called EMS and they said the starter was under warranty and to send it back but they would send me another in the meantime, I got the other starter in a few days and sent the one back that was bad,
and as did the 1st starter it turned the engine over andit started right off, but as before acouple three starts later back to the whirling sound and back to doing the holding the start button 1 to 2 seconds and then letting off after about 3 or4 times of this the engine started.But in a day or two later the same problem starter froze up and once again I called EMS and told them what was happening andas before they said they would send me another starter and to send mine back. They also said that they were having a problem with these starters but not the problem I had with mine they said it was with the splines not matching up with the old sprocket. I just received this new starter yesterday andit is stamped made in Taiwan so I am not sure how this is going to work out but will keep you posted.
Bailbob:waving:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You are correct. I just called Stockers and they verified Stockers has been bought out by EMS. Looks like another good source has been lost as you post about the quality of their starters are now highly questionable.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I think if I have to get anothert starter I am just going to take it to a local starter/alternater rebuilder.....

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I am a joker also so no offence taken, but when one can scan someone elses brain and learn something I am all for it. Two heads are better then one they say, in this case we might say A THOUSANDHEADS OR MORE ARE BETTER THEN ONE?;)

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
I got a $119 new starter off Ebay (D&B? Tenn.) Works fine. All starters die, eventually.
:waving:Some die a lot sooner than others.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
You are correct. I just called Stockers and they verified Stockers has been bought out by EMS. Looks like another good source has been lost as you post about the quality of their starters are now highly questionable.
:waving:I also called and asked if they offer the same service that Stockers did and I was told that they do. The toll free phone number is still the same and it is: 1-888-786-2537

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ok an update on my 3rd starter from EMS, Iinstalled the starter and as soon as I tried the starter switch it started no problem and I let it warm up and idle for about 15 mintues then shut it off (Bike is still not ready to ride yet) I did this 4 times letting it sit for about an hour and everytime itstarted almost immeditly. So I hope I will not have this problem again for a long time. I now have a small problem in that as the bike idlesat 950 RPM it will increas to almost 3000 RPM and throdle has not been touched. (Carbs I guess) what do you all think?
bailbob:clapper:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Is the choke all the way off? Mine will idle up slowly as it warns up. When I release the choke it idles down at about 8oo rpms.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yes the choke is all the way off although I have not checked to see if its adjusted ok, will do that tomorrow and let you know. Thanks

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

When it "froze up" did you remove the plugs (outside) and try to start? You may find fuel shooting out of one or more plug holes indicating a compression lock. Would not expect any starter to turn over an engine with a pint of fuel in the cylinder. A GL1100 that sat for three years should be assumed to have plugged idle jets and bad float valves.

Ernie

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

yes I had pulled the plugs, and just a bit of carbon nothing else, and as I have already stated the carbs have been rebuilt all the jets and floats seem ok, but as you have stated the idle jets might still be the problem When I had the carbs broke down I was unabel to tell if they were open and reading some of the ideas on this forum it makes me rethink that I might have to pull the carbs again and check them again. That will be another day as I just wanted to get the bike running and then see what else is going to be needed. Thanks for your ideas.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

hi bob

i have 82 gl had the same problem at the end of the season here in canada and

baught a starter of e bay from d&b and got it on and it started.

the next day it started again and took a ride and came back home and later that day i tryed it and it kick once or twice and got a loud whirling sound . is your starter running now.

:waving:lasers56

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hi lasers56,

Yes my starter is working great so far but only 5 starts so far. The 1st 2 starters I got from EmS (Electric Motor Supply) seemed to work ok the first two or three starts and then faded to the whirling sound and not engaging the engine, so I tryed hitting the start button and holding it 1 or 2 seconds then releasing it and did that for about a minute or less till the starter finally engaged the engine and bike started but that only worked about 3 times then starter would do nothing. Took starter off bike and put in vise on work bench and tried it there but it was like it had a dead short inside starter and because starter was still under warranty I did not open it up to see what had happened inside. Called EMS told them what had happened and they immedidtely send me another which arrived in a couple days. Sorry to be so long but thats the history so far.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

HI

THANKS FOR ANSWERING BUT I AM WOUNDERING IF I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I HAVE JUST PUT A POST CKECK IT OUT

:cooldj:LIVE TO RIDE AGAIN

LASERS56

PS I HAVE ADD U AS A FRIEND

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

BailBob,

Ihave intermittant loss ofall power to my starter, but the few times I just push start to get by... I believe it may be the relay, have you eliminated the relay as a possibleproblem? I have cleaned the connections and changed out the 30 Amp fuse wiring. At that time I saw the connections on the relay had partially melted, so may have been loose connection there. Good luck.:11red:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I have installed the 3rd starter in my bike and its working great so I guess no problems in the relay. I put all new cables and cleaned all conections before I installed the second starter.
Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Bailbob, I had the same problem with my bike, also an 1100. I went through 2 srters before I found the problem.

Before you do anything else, pull the starter back out of the bike. Remove the three long bolts and pull the the nose peice off of the main starter casing. When you pull it apart hold it with the nose peice down so the planetary gears do not fall out. Set the main casing down and inspect the planetary gears. What I want you to do is turn the outside gear, note if the outer ring gear is metal or plastic and observe to see if the gears are turning freely. You may very possibly find that there is a point where they just stop like they're stuck. If this is the case, check the ring gear. There is a small key on the nose peice that fits into a notch on the ring gear and keeps it in place. If the gear is plastic, the gear may have jumped and the key is no longer in the notch and it is causing just enough of a flat spot to jam the gears and not allowing the starter to do it's job. This is what happened to mine.

What I did was take apart the old starter, put the old nose peice which had a metal gear onto the new casing put it together and re-installed it. I never had a problem with since then.

It seems some of the off brand manufacturers are saving money by using the plastic gear instead of metal and the torque of the metal gears against it are to much and it moves out of place.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. (with the bike, not your love life, that's for another thread.)

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks for the info: The starter I have in the bike at present is working great but I have my old starter (original) and if I have a problem with the one I have in the bike now then I will do as you suggest
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

hy dude Richardrwg

you were right i did as u said and found the gear in plastic and it was jam

luckly i keep the old starter and it was metal i done the switch and it is starting wow

you help work

:waving:live to ride again

lasers56

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.