Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a nice 250 km ride yesterday and towards the end noticed the temp rising. The reservoir was empty and the rad needed a litre of coolant. So I topped it up and ran the bike in idle for 30 minutes. The temp gauge went to mid level. Normal considering it was in the garage and stationary. The fan came on like clockwork. I checked everywhere for a leak and found nothing. What da?

Why would I lose a lot of coolant one day and not the next? Any ideas?

Bob:?

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
As parts expand and contract with heating-cooling cycles. If losing coolant and it is not leaking on your shoes (external) it is internal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As parts expand and contract with heating-cooling cycles. If losing coolant and it is not leaking on your shoes (external) it is internal.
Is there any way of knowing what internally it could be? Does it mean pulling the engine?

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Any white sweet smelling exhaust = anitfreeze = bad head gasket or worst. You can change head gaskets w/o pulling the engine. Or major leak from water pump weep hole?? But that shoudl leave a puddle on the floor, running it would just be swept away.

Look around the top of the engine under the carbs any residue..leak from crossover pipes could be evaporated by hot motor and you'd never see it...

check your oil level is it too high???, is it milky looking = water in it..bad head gasket, water pump mechanical seal failed or worse inside the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same thing happening to me on my '82. Couldn't smell any thing, never saw any leaks, but the overflow tank would slowly empty. I finally checked the radiator cap, and the seals were old and cracked. After a new cap was installed, my coolant level has been normal for about 600 miles now.
Good luck!
Darren

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mentioned above that the bike was losing coolant with no visible leaks. Also I have discovered that the number 3 spark plug is wet with what appears to be oil. I am assuming that the head gasket has to be changed. Does this make sense?

If yes does anyone have a step by step instruction on how to accomplish the task?
Bob:? Spark plug Auto part Automotive ignition part Automotive engine part

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,331 Posts
Those plugs don't look like head gasket problems. To test for a head gasket problem, you should do a leak down test. It requires specialized equipment so you should take the bike to a shop.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
2nd what Dennis wrote there is something funky going on with that third plug cylinder, likely low compression. Do a compression test on the motor and ensure you are getting a good spark out of that third plugs ignition wire while there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
compression test

Did a compresssion test. Left side read 99 on both cylinders. Right side read 68 on both cylinders.
I am in the process of changing the head gasket and then see what happens.

Bob

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
If there was no schraeder valve in the tester hose to hold pressure you might get those kind of results.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Making progrress

Well my son got married on the weekend. One hell of a party. Now that I'm back to "normal" the bike is next. Took everything apart and removed the head. Pretty gunky on #3. Brought it to a local mechanic for a diagnosis. Here's the scoop. Head gasket is warped around cylinder which is allowing coolant to enter and then vaporize. Once vaporized it leaves residue behind. So, what I thought was oily residue is actually coolant residue according to him.

I ordered a new head gasket which should arrive tomorrow or Friday. Already have the 2 sides clean and ready for the new gasket. I'll let you know how it goes.

It will be easier to work in the garage if ever this heat subsides. The humidex is 43C up here. Not used to this crap.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Never heard of a head gasket warping, Heads Warp! If you don't have then checked for warpage and milled as necessary your leak may not go away. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Bike and Dennis and glhonda just took me thru that same problem. It was the Head Gaskets. Like Bike says-redo your compression test and check for the white exhaust smoke. I found out that replacing the head gaskets was easy after you spend hours removing parts and dropping the exhaust so you can get to them.

Whoops. You have the problem well in hand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bike and Dennis and glhonda just took me thru that same problem. It was the Head Gaskets. Like Bike says-redo your compression test and check for the white exhaust smoke. I found out that replacing the head gaskets was easy after you spend hours removing parts and dropping the exhaust so you can get to them.

Whoops. You have the problem well in hand.
I used the word warped. Probably not the right word. The mechanic that looked at it said he had seen it before and said it was the head gasket. I picked up the gasket today and plan on installing it next week when I get back from a trip.

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
outcome

Hi All,
It has been some time since my last post. Been busy riding. The replacement of the head gasket solved the issue. Not a drop of coolant has beeen lost in 1000 kms. And I am proud to say that I did the job myself. Haynes and Clymer manuals paved the way.
Bob
:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.