Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Help!!

Just perchased a gl1100 interstate that was supposed to have the carbs rebuilt. The problem is it wont go over 50 and when I pull the drians on both carbs # 2 and #4 there is no gas comming out the drain. took off carbs and checked the floats and they seem fine. lots of fuel in bowls of #1 and #3. about ready to pull my hair out so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jury

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Jury!:waving::waving:

Have you tried disconnecting the fuel lines at the carbs to see if there's a blockage? Shouldn't be too hard to trace back. Hang in there some of the 1100 guys will chip in soon.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Fule line only goes to #3 carb then it is routed internally to the other carbs. I checked for blockages in the cross tube and there dosent seem to be any, can blow air into fule line and it will come out the drain but most of it comes out thru the body of carb 3 if that makes any sence. but I do appreciate the fast responce.

thanks

Jury

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

juryk wrote:
Fule line only goes to #3 carb then it is routed internally to the other carbs. I checked for blockages in the cross tube and there dosent seem to be any, can blow air into fule line and it will come out the drain but most of it comes out thru the body of carb 3 if that makes any sence. but I do appreciate the fast responce.

thanks

Jury
About the only other thing would be the float valves. I have a 1500 with only two carbs and my previous bike was a 1200 SEI which was fuel injected so I haven't had much hands on with the four cylinder carbs. We've a bunch of pretty sharp guys, keep watching, I'm sure someone else has had the problem.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Thought I'd bring this one back to the top of the stack so we can get an 1100 expert to respond!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

juryk wrote:
Help!!

Just perchased a gl1100 interstate that was supposed to have the carbs rebuilt. The problem is it wont go over 50 and when I pull the drians on both carbs # 2 and #4 there is no gas comming out the drain. took off carbs and checked the floats and they seem fine. lots of fuel in bowls of #1 and #3. about ready to pull my hair out so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jury
Jury, if you have fuel flow to the other carbs then it is at least getting that far.. If I remember correctly there are very fine small internalfilter screens in the upper part ofeach carb float needle seat,, those tend to plug easily with varnish or rust (worth a look anyhow)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

:jumper:

We have a winner. Took out the carbs again. Getting to be such an expert at this I could do it with my eyes closed. Pulled the float valve filters and low and behold, those little screens tube s were no longer screens. seems everything but the seats and screens where replaced. Got them cleaned up and reassembled. put everything back together and low and behold there is a huge difference between running on 4 cylinders as apposed to just 2. I was amazed at the power this old girl had. even passed a couple of cars out on the highway. Thank You alll for the help and I am glad I found this forum.

thanks again

Jury

:D

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

juryk wrote:
We have a winner. Took out the carbs again. Getting to be such an expert at this I could do it with my eyes closed. Pulled the float valve filters and low and behold, those little screens tube s were no longer screens. seems everything but the seats and screens where replaced. Got them cleaned up and reassembled. put everything back together and low and behold there is a huge difference between running on 4 cylinders as apposed to just 2. I was amazed at the power this old girl had. even passed a couple of cars out on the highway. Thank You alll for the help and I am glad I found this forum.

thanks again

Jury
Jury, those little screens get passed over on a lot of carb overhauls as the needle & seats look good to the eye so the seats don't get pulled out & inspected. It's amazing how little it takes to plug those fine little screens.. Glad you're up & running again! Keep your main fuel filter replaced (often for a few times) as that goes a long way towards keeping the crud out of those seat screens.

Twisty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.