Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This may be a repeat, just lost what I wrote, so here I go for #2

My 1 week old 1980 GL1100 was just certified for safety. The unit had all fluids changed out including the coolant, but I have discovered that I installed the wrong anti freeze since it is not silicate free. I will dump the charge of wrong coolant , rince the chambers with RO water and then run to temp, dump and re-rinse then install the proper coolant at a 50% mix with RO water. Would this suffice? Has this wrong mix caused a future problem as noted on this site?

Thanks for all your help, I look forward to getting this bike out of second gear, any comments or concerns that I shoulod be aware of? I am unaware of what the previous owners ran in the coolant or in any of the fluids.

FYI-RO water is reverse osmosis filtered water at about 98% pure water.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

My understanding is that the silicates can wear some components like water pump seals. I believe that if you flush with clean water and refill with the right stuff you'll be fine. I don't want to start a coolant debate but I go to Walmart and buy the Havoline Extended life (silicate free, and free of other stuff) coolant that advertises 150,000 miles/5 years. Still need to mix with water - I've always used cheap gallons of distilled water. Safest bet is the Honda coolant sold by MC stores - supposed to be same as the type 2 coolant sold at honda car dealers for a little less $. I know people that run silicate laden coolant in their wings - I wouldn't for long. Bob

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Any silicate free coolant is prefered.. The water pump "o" rings are very sensitive to contamination of any kind, and over a period of time and mileage, the "o" rings will fail when using a silicate based coolant..

I always use the Texaco Extended life because it's what GM uses on their new production cars. If it's good enough for GM, """""""""""

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Hi anyUK owners know where to get Silicate free Antifreeze.

I am going to change my Timing belts and the coolant at the same time.

Thanks

Inteleman

1982 1100 Gl Interstate

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

ARKnapp wrote:
Has this wrong mix caused a future problem as noted on this site?

Thanks for all your help, I look forward to getting this bike out of second gear, any comments or concerns that I shoulod be aware of? I am unaware of what the previous owners ran in the coolant or in any of the fluids.

FYI-RO water is reverse osmosis filtered water at about 98% pure water.
I shouldn't think that you'll have a serious problem with the pump if it hasn't run all that long with the silicate bearing coolant. Keep an eye (actually a finger) on the water pump weep hole now and then, if nothing shows up there it should be fine.

98% pure doesn't sound very pure to me. I wouldn't want to drink water with 2% horse piss in it!

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

You would be surprised what you are drinking from a tap. Although deemed safe from a pottable view water has more solids in it these days along with chemicals and heavy metals. Horse piss by the way as with most piss is sterile as it comes out. Its what you use to collect it that fouls it up. At any rate most of the crap has been removed to about 98-98.5 %, wheras distilled water if collected and bottled correctly is pure. But you never know what some companies are doing with their water, I simply have a RO filter sysytem in the house and use RO water where distilled is needed. Now drinking distilled water is all together another topic and most healthcare people say we should not consume distilled water.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

ARKnapp wrote:
Horse piss by the way as with most piss is sterile as it comes out. Its what you use to collect it that fouls it up.
When you get down to it, probably no worse than milk both come from the inside on a critter! I always use distilled water for batteries and coolant. It's not pure either but close enough.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Use 50/50 "Silcate free Coolant" and "Jack Daniels" !

It's Distilled!:baffled::goofygrin::clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

"Jack Daniels " ?????  You're gonna mess THAT up  with water../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif.? or Antifreeze?  You can do that with "Southern Comfort"  but leave the JD alone ... LOL.../forums/images/emoticons/dude.gif  The water pump ,and its seals are one of the more "Consumable" items on  a wing .. after the brake  pads ...  they usually last less than 70000....I was told by  a mechanic that the silicate slowly (over months) fries  both the seals  and the bearings  in a water pump of this type... I am sure if you rinsed it  with water.. the silicates would be so dilute that you will be fine ! SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

JD straight is the only way. I toured the plant and asked the guide how many people work in the plant, after a moment of silence he said about half.

Imperial gallon is 160 liquid ounces

US gallon is 128 oz

Imperial is 20% bigger or 80% of imperial is 1 US Gallon

At 60 miles per Imperial gallon I would get 60 x .8=48 miles per US gallon, now is the mile a mile?

I am trying to discover if this 1980 GL1100 is in good, bad or unknown shape. So far from your comments it appears to be OK, now do I keep it, or upgrade?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I knew the "Imperial Gal. was a little more!

At 48 MPG US you're doing alot better than me, I probably get 40 tops, havn't check for a long while though?!:baffled:Must be the "Canadian" fresh air?!:baffled:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

AR, the Honda Type 2 coolant is already premixed. So you don't need to add water.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I found Texaco Havoline pink stuff in concentrate and blended my own mixture. It is Dexcool compatible, but all the bad history with GM and their latest coolant does leave me with out that warm and fuzzy feeling. The mixture seems to be OK since I run at highway speeds with the temp gauge at the beginning of the normal range and city stop and go puts it in the middle of the normal range. I was aware of the many brands that do a pre mix, but the cost of filtered water or distilled water is extremely high in that retailed offering. All together the GL1100 took 3 litres exactly of a premix so I used 1.5 litres from a 4 litre jug. On cool fill up it went to the line of max and then after a run up to heat and then cool the liquid in the run off tank went to 1/2 way between the hi and lo lines.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

If you want distilled water on te cheap, next time you defrost your refridgerator or freezer just save the water in a plastic container. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.