Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought a 1980 GL1100, and the PO replaced the tank before I bought it. The bike sat for 16 years, and the old tank was shot. The new tank looks real clean inside, andI want to keep it this way. I do not believe that it has been treated or sealed.

Should I drain the tank before storing her, or should I keep it full? A few years ago, I used to use "tank tampons", a gas dryer on a string when I stored mysnowmobiles,but then got in the habit of draining them (plastic tanks) and rust was not really anissue.

Any advice out there?

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Hi mdbauer!

I havn't let either of mine sit long enough to worry about rust. But others on here have mentioned problems with rust after put up for winter. I have put cars up for longer without rust problems, just varnish that made em run crappy a few miles.

Started to say start em up once a month but then looked at your location. Think I would hibernate with the squirrels and worry about the bike when I wake up. LOL

Good luck! Some one will be along by tomorrow eve with good advice. Not mine. :dude:
Dwight

·
Premium Member
6,639 Posts
imported post

First add a preservative like Sta Bil and follow the instructions on the bottle. Fill the tank to the brim. Metal that is covered by gasoline can not rust. Fuel that is treated will make the winter with ease. Been doing it for years. Good luck...

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Redwing - Thx for the advice. I have always used stabil/extend in my fuel for my sleds, but then they have plastic tanks so rust was never an issue. I have alternated over the years between the strategies of "fill-it-up-full and add stabil" and "drain everything and let it dry out". Had good luck w/my snowmobiles butkeeping a 29-yr old bike up to snuff isa little different.

By-the-way: I grew up in Neenah/Menasha/Appleton, moved to Detroit in 1994 to work for the automotive industry. I get back every so often.Planning ondoing the "Badger" Ferry over to WI this summer and then ride back through the UP.

GO PACKERS !!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

redwing52 wrote:
First add a preservative like Sta Bil and follow the instructions on the bottle. Fill the tank to the brim. Metal that is covered by gasoline can not rust. Fuel that is treated will make the winter with ease. Been doing it for years. Good luck...
think of it this way.... air expands a LOT more than fluids.... a tank full of air, will, over the course of the winte, have a lot more expansion and contraction. Everytime the wir contracts, new air (with humidity) enters the tank, unfortunately the humidty has a nasty habit of condensing inside the tank.... leading to rust

a tank full of fuel has very little expansion and contraction, and therefore protects the tank

·
Premium Member
6,639 Posts
imported post

MD,
I currently live in Appleton. Graduated High school from Neenah. Lived in Menahsha for a while also. If you would like some company give us a shout and maybe we can take a little ride together while you are here. Take care...

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

It is oxygen that causes rust....

and oxygen comes primarily from the air, so keep it full... some oxygen can also be desolved in the fuel and water (andmoisture also acts like a catalyst) so other oxidation prevention stabilizers can slow down any oxidation (as well as stabilize the fuel)..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.