Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If your swing arm looks like this with a collar spot welded over the main tube then this little known problem might apply to you ? Not all 80 1100's had the problem mind you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

This is from the March 1982 wing world mag.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Here's a problem Honda never admitted to but replaced all they found defective or at least some dealers did.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I saved all related material of this problem since I bought my new 80 standard back then.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

It's a simple check to see if your s.arm is defective using a home made wedge as here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Simple but very effect.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Production tolerances compounded the problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

We don't have no stinking problem ________?

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Very interesting. While this is obviously an unintentional manufacturing defect and not a design flaw, and some swingarms were replaced IF the owner brought the bike in, this is another case more than serious enough to have issued a recall on. Yet Honda never admitted it happened. Nothing to do with old technology here, a craftmanship problem plain and simple.

As was stated, Honda is in the business to make money, but leaving an owner stuck with something like this is unconscionable.

And yes, there are a million good things about the Goldwing, even my 26 year old one is close to being the best large motorcycle I've ever owned, and definitely the best for touring by a long shot. I will almost certainly keep it for as long as I am able to keep it going. But just because it is a great bike overall does not excuse how Honda dealt with these issues. I still maintain there should have been a recall on both the wheel problem and the swingarm problem. It was the only right thing to do.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Their response was.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Under normal use ?_____????

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Jan 1980 Cycle review, ripping off a 12.48 1.4 mile. Fastest Wing until the 97 Valkyrie @ 12.37.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Was there any indication of a certain VIN number group? I have 2 1980s and neither has a repaired swing arm. Is there and easier way to see a problem if the swing arm is off? If my tire doesn't rub I must be OK, yes?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

No. Just follow the instructions above and check to see if yours have the revised 81 flanged spacer instead of the old 80 flat washer ? Back then. One would drive in the axle, sucking in the left s.arm, compounding the problem from both sides.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Did this flanged spacer have a new part number? The original spacer was SPACER, RR. 42312-463-000 which I have on both bikes. The part is shown on here:
http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_image_popup.asp?fveh=3432&section=145506&year=1981&make=HONDA&category=MOTORCYCLES&dc=3078&name=REAR+BRAKE+CALIPER+80-81

Just trying to understand. I don't see how a flanged spacer would fit as the drive shaft is the same size as the caliper bracket and the clamp of the swingarm. It couldn't be oriented either way?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

The new spacer for 81-2-3 is HC 109276 PN 42312-MB9-000.

Neither of my 80's have it but my 81 does. The revised 81 spacer has a hollowed end that allows the axle to slide into it while the outer flange butts to the swing arm to space it properly. You can use the 80 flat washer if you pay attention after tightening the axle nut. The outer s.arm edge should be just past the hole.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.