Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, I decided that while I had my cyclesounds unit out to install a new radio on my GL1100i that I would renew the instrument cluster bulbs while they were easy to get at.. I read my manual and searched on here, and read that a type 57 bulb should fit it.

Alas, when I pulled the old ones out of the speedo and tach, while the watts were the same, the globes on the newer type 57 bulb were much bigger (the original's globes were almost the same diameter as the base) and wouldn't fit into the hole in the housing :thumbsdown:. The old lights were just marked Toshiba 12v 3.4w. Anyone run into this before and have an idea of what size will actually fit in there, or do I just need to play Guess That Bulb at the auto parts store?

Thanks and Happy New Years Eve, all!

Sam.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bootwing1100 wrote:
1157 is the right bulb.
Sorry Bootwing1100 but you're incorrect.
An 1157 is a dual element bulb used for tail and brake/signal lights and will not fit in an instrument panel/pod.

Unfortunately I have no idea what the correct bulb is.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

#94 comes to mind but not exactly sure. I have a box out in the shop but that will have to wait until next year.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies guys... I think I have gotten quite a list of bulb numbers with the same base size while looking at led bulbs on eBay. Next stop is to head up to the local autoparts store and see if any of them are the right wattage, or I may just consider buying the LED's. Riding season is pretty much over for me in NE Ohio till probably end of March or so, so I've got a while to figure this out :)

~Sam.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

although it sounds like a great idea i would bet that the led would not provide sufficient light for that use,besides the 53's would be alot cheaper

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Actually found a 10-pack of NOS Stanley 3.4W bulbs on eBay. Fit perfect and were just what the doctor ordered.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

When replacing my speedo/dash bulbs on my 1980 1100, I found that most were burnt out. I went to the local craft store, picked up a pack of 12V coloured LEDs (LED with two wires) for a couple of bucks to see if I could creat my own LED bulbs. I was successful in taking out the burnt glass, leaving in the ceramic, melted the lead at the base of the bulb to create a hole and solderd in the LED (through hole in base and to side of base). Used hot glue to keep it all together. Made half a dozen or so LED bulbs that work.

Maybe I will do it again and add pictures and step-by-step directions. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Gavin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.