Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was adjusting the valves and cylinder 3 both intake and exhaust cannot be set properly. The valve stems come out all the way to the rocker arms. So, it's leaking gas into the oil and blowing smoke on that side. Not certain where to go from here... Is this pull the head and install new valve seats?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

LOL, misspelled valves in the thread title. :doh:

Anyways, after looking at the manual I don't think the seat has much to do with the problem, maybe the springs are out of spec. I've never messed with valves before aside from setting the gap.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

blackomen wrote:
LOL, misspelled valves in the thread title. :doh:
You can edit the title yourself, its a new feature. You will see an "edit title" button over your threads for I think about a month after you make the thread.

About the valves. You might find they have sunk up into their seats. The condition of the springs doesn't matter as the valves sit fully closed anyway.
But first, are you setting the valve clearances with the camshafts in the right position? Is there a chance that you don't have each cylinder at TDC when adjusting?

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I agree with Ambrose that you should first make doubly sure you are setting the clearance with the cams in the closed position.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I checked 3 times to make sure i was doing it correctly. Lined up to T1 with both closed on cylinder 1 for exhaust on 3 and around to T1 for intake on 3....

·
Administrator
26,156 Posts
imported post

Is #3 the only one you are having trouble with?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yeah, the left side both are in spec and #1 is as well, blowing smoke out of right side exhaust only.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I don't understand how the valve stem could grow into the rocker? Unless the seat is totally broken? Sound like a head pull to me. Instead of changing seats, you can also get a good used head, like from ebay or sometimes craigslist...

Good luck, it doesn't sound good to me.

a great how to, with photos, even though you have the book:
http://filipi.com/HondaStuff/GL1100_Valve_Adjustment.pdf

It is just like you said, though. There is not a lot to the valve assembly, it can only be a few things, right?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Hi.

I have replaced the valve seats on all my valves during it's total rebuild.

The cost of a head off ebay or such would be more than the cost of the parts and getting the valve seats reemed.

I would also weigh in that your heads are very likely to be true as opposed to the second hand ones where you know nothing of the history of the motor.

The only thing that would change this is if the head was damaged beyone repair and only taking off the head will show this up for sure.

take time to find out all your options before commiting to buy a second hand head.

I got the heads polished and all the inlets before install. The difference is truly amazing. Old goldie come new.:applause:

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Make sure your timing belts are placed correctly. If a belt is "a little" off (one or maybe two teeth) it will still not crash the valves against the pistons but it will affect the valve timing, sometimes making them non adjustable. Move the timing belts cover and check that up if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Or you can, for preliminary check, give the crankshaft two full revolutions (by hand) and see if the valve stems in matter will get some clearance at any point of rotating the engine. That should happen if the crankshaft and camshaft(s) are not in phase (timing belts off). Of course, first make sure that the clearance adjusting screws are not tightened too much (so that they cancel the clearance).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.