Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1980 GL1100
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for the add. I just picked up a 1980 GL1100 that is was all in pieces. I am currently trying to puzzle it back together. I can use a wrench, but I'm not sure I would say I am mechanically inclined. With that said, there are a lot of youtube videos and with the help from you guys, I think I can get it all back together and running. The guy I got it from had all the bolts in one big bag, so I am currently trying to figure out where everything goes. I want to just get it together loosely, and then I will disassemble and label everything and have it laid out when I go deeper into the engine and replace gaskets, rebuild carbs, etc.

My first couple questions have to do with the wiring harness.
The one end of the ground goes to the battery, where does the other end attach? (1st picture circled in blue)

Theres a wiring coming and going from the fuse box (2nd pic circled in red) what do those wires attach to?

Appreciate all the help!

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,484 Posts
Welcome. The ground cable attaches to the upper left engine mount, the big thru bolt, the opposite end from the blue circle. the extra wires on the fuse box are accessory wires, went to whatever.

·
Registered
1980 GL1100
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate it! So I would be able to get rid of those accessory wires, correct?

I got a couple more connections that I am questioning. Its 2 spade female connections. One is yellow and the other is green. Its close to the battery box (1st picture).

The other is 2 brown, 2 black, and 1 light blue. all are female single pin connectors (2nd picture).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
81,942 Posts
Hallo bjs14

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
1980 GL1100
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,

Got another one for ya, I cant figure out where this grounds to. The wire comes off of the section that is connected to the thermostat and water temp sending unit.

First pic is the wire that I am talking about on my bike.

The second pic is one I found online that is easier to see, circled in blue.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts