Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have a Barn Bird of about 13 years I recently bought.
Thought I would start this to keep everything together. As mentioned in other post, have rebuilt carbs and timing belt was next on my list.

Well I find the bike is stuck in gear. I removed floorboards. Then I checked for clearance of the shifter parts. I also tried to rock with clutch out--no joy. Finally got bike on center stand:weightlifter:. I then started and tried to shift but still stuck. It is like it is in 5th gear. Sometime I can get into neutral which might be what some call the second neutral. I next started it up and let clutch out and let it idle for about 10 minutes thinking heating the oil and all up might help -- it didn't. I'm wondering if If adding something to the oil might help? Also considered to justdrain the oil and fill the crankcase up with diesel , seafoam or something and let set. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jim:july4thflag:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i think first off , i would drain the oil and pull the front cover off and have a look see to make sure the springs and linkage are trying to work. a simple broke spring or backed out bolt can cause this problem. good luck with it.

heres a pic of whats there.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

As I posted to your other post it took riding mine in town slow rides lots of easy shifting up and down, 1-3 gears 10 or so times, then add another gear to get the clutch plates lubed after sitting unused so long. I did add some MMO for the first 100 miles then changed oil and filter

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well it is still stuck in gear. Just going back to my original plan and R&R the timing belts. Will also pull front engine cover and see what that looks like--needed to check the water pump anyway to be on safe side.
I have new belts, T-stat and hoses. Would someone have the part number and source for the O ring kit for the front housing,
Thanks all
Jim

BTW Tks to Dan I did get a photo of Barnbird in the Gallery section, was not sure how to move here.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.