Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I understand that they made the GL1100 more economical as the years went on. I feel like i need another gear on the highway (running about 4500rpm). Can this be accomplished by switching out a trans from a 1982 or 1983. Will it or won't it fit? THANKS,
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

No expert here yes & no

The gear ratio is fine for the bike and the motor likes the higher revs, at 80 miles an hour you should get just under 30 mpg. The lower the traveling speed the better gas milage

Can the ratio be changed, short answer is yes, I have an 82 with an 83 motor on it and there is a gear ratio difference but it is not a good one. The taller gearing makes take off and slow riding a real pain in the ars

Rev the bike up and ride it like you stole it :action:

There is no "real" fix-er

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I'm glad you asked!

The trans most certainly can be swapped over.
The difference is about 500 rpm in 5th, give/take a couple hundred rpm.

I had to grind a bit off one shifter fork to clear the last large gear on the shaft.
Simple deal.
Besides the trans gears, you'll also need the final drive gear that installs thru the side cover by the fuel pump, the '80 and '81 gear wont work with the '82 or '83 trans.

There is a big difference between 1980 gears and 1983 gears.
It's alot of work but to me the lowered rpms are well worth it.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

Dan,

This sounds like a really good write up for the how-to forum. I have a 1980 GL1100 and would also like to lower the cruising rpm with the new transmission. Sounds like the 83 is the best? I ride alone (no passenger) so the loss of top-end power wouldn't likely affect me.

I have an extra 1981 trans in the garage. Is it the same gear ratio as the 1980?

I may look for a 83 trans and ask you to guide me through the installation.

Thx for the info !!!!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

SC wrote:

Can the ratio be changed, short answer is yes, I have an 82 with an 83 motor on it and there is a gear ratio difference but it is not a good one. The taller gearing makes take off and slow riding a real pain in the ars

:waving:Honda lowered 1st gear for better pulling power and made the other gears taller for high mileage and effortless highway cruising.

The above info is from one of my '83 brochures. I've had my '83 since new and I have no problem on take offand forslow ridinggear selection is the key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.