Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am finishing up a front end rebuild on my 1100. New seals, caliper rebuild, resurface rotors, wheel bearings and new tire. Anyway after bleeding the brakes everything seems fine, come back a couple of hours later grab the front brake and nothing. Pump it once or twice and it is fine again. I have bleed them a couple of times thinking it is air. But so far nothing is helped. I did not mess with the master cylinder. Could it be the problem? Never had a problem with them at all. Or is it just air still trapped somewhere in the line? That is what I expect.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

How did you bleed them..standard way(pump and hold..let air out), bottom up(forcing fluid up through the system from the bleeder valve), cracked the banjo joint or not?

Yes, it sounds like air if pumping brings it back.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I just pumped them up and bleed threw the bleeder screw

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Gravity didn't work for me and air leaked around the bleed nipple threads. I had to pump the lever, hold it and reach down and loosen then tighten the bleed nipples. Two people would definitely make this easier.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Boy, let me tell you...the front brake on my 1100 is probably the worst piece of equipment I've ever seen on a motorcycle. I've bench bled, banjo bled, reverse bled...you name it.

If you get full power though at one point then nothing but bar the next, I'd suspect a worn out cup seal inside the MC. Happened to my ST1100. Replaced the MC, fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well checked it again all the way to the handle bar again. Just went to georgefix and ordered a trebuild kit. I thought about the master cylinder when I was rebuilding the calipers but did not have a kit avalible. No need to get in a hurry now. It is going to be 10 below zero here in a day or two anyway.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

Ghost Rider 2 wrote:
It is going to be 10 below zero here in a day or two anyway.
UUGGHH I'll be feeling the chill along with ya bud. I'm not to far away from you.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

Yet again I'm reliving my automechanic years here so plz excuse me.

While working on cars I have noticed a few times a brake pedal feeling good before opening the system but could not get a good pedal after pedal bleeding. A wiseman once told me that under normal conditions the seals inside the master cylinder travel a small distance inside the bore. Outside that "travel area" dirt and rust can build up. When we try to bleed the brakes we allow the seals to travel farther then normal, into the dirt and rust, and sometimes tearing the seals. I got to the point where i refused to pedal bleed unless I couldn't use a pressure bleeder.

I hope the rebuild works for ya

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hey noobrider1 close the door at the river and maybe the cold won't get over here.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

:XI wish you guys up North would all close your doors......its supposed to be single digits down here by the end of the week!!!!:crying:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I had problems bleeding my front brakes, I wound up getting a 60cc syringe, tubing from a o2 mask and used it to draw the fluid through. After doing that several times, then tied my brake lever down over night. Have good solid handle now.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

hey Ghost Rider 2..you ever go to the Peoria TT races?

I live about eight miles from the track. If you go this summer stop on by for a cold one!!!!!!:alco:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You might try cracking the banjo bolt on the master and try bleeding that joint ditto at the caliper. It's not unheard of for air to trap there. Also there's a chance the small port in the master cylinder between the cylinder and the reservoir might be plugged, if it is getting all the air out is nearly impossible.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like you have an air bubble in the splitter (piece of cr#p anyway), they're a bear to get rid of, and I would suggest working a full MC's worth of fluid through the shortest line first, then doing it again with the longer line.

It's a monster, but without a forced bleed pushing fluid up, it's about the only way I could find to get it.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

I also would zip tie the handle to the handle bar over nite. Double check both calipers for leakage. My caliper piston hade a pin hole and brake fluid seeped out onto the pads. :(A friend of mine owns a machine shop and is making 3 aluminum pistons.:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.