Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am dire needs of a new rear tire on my wing... we was looking at the manual today and checking into it and it looks simple to pull the rear tire.. my question is to the ones out there that has done this.. is it as easy as the manual makes it look??? thanks

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I have an 83 Aspencade. I "jacked" the bike up by putting 3 segments of a 2x4 under each leg of the center stand. I inserted the segments one at a time on each side.

If you have a "real" bike jack, that would be much better.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Sidewalkman wrote:
really easy, jack it up, remove axle, take off wheel.

Well, one more step - remove the three bolts holding the final drive to the shaft. THEN it slides right out. Saves a LOT of labor cost at Honda or wherever you go.

Jack

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Check at the dealer. The Honda dealer here in Yuma charges about $175.00 for the tire (Dunlop 491 Elite II), mounting and balance.

Or you can take the wheel off yourself, go to the dealer and buy just the tire for about $175.00, take it home, mount and balance it yourself, reinstall the tire for a huge savings of $0.00!!

I called every MC shop in town and no one would sell me just the tire for less than the dealer wanted, and they did all the labor for free. I even looked on the net. By the time I added shipping, mounting and balance it wasn't worth it. Most other MC shops wouldn't or couldn't mount the tire for me either.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

stormintba wrote:
I am dire needs of a new rear tire on my wing... we was looking at the manual today and checking into it and it looks simple to pull the rear tire.. my question is to the ones out there that has done this.. is it as easy as the manual makes it look??? thanks
stormintba, it's not too bad a job. If you deflate the tire before pulling it will clear the torque tube easier. While it's apart be sure to free up & lubricate the rear brake caliper sliders. You also might want to pull the final drive off & use a good graphite grease on the exposed drive shaft splines (I believe you can only do the rear splines of that drive shaft on that 1100 without pulling the rear swing arm).

Also while apart check (or better yet replace) the rear wheel bearings. Then use graphite grease on the wheel drive flange to final drive to prevent wear.

All in all not a very difficult job..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

The bike shop here will sell, mount andbalancethe tire for about $100 per rim - if you bring in only the rims. If you bring in the whole bike, he charges another $25 front and $40 back r/rto do the job. So it would be cheaper for me to take the wheels off myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.