Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Everyone,
I've been working on my 81 Interstate project. I attempted to rebuild my carbs but she's still running like crap. I was wondering if any body knows how to remove the slow jets. From what I've read it looks like the 80 & 81 slow jets are pressed in. I would like to replace them if possible. They both seem to still be clogged right now I've got them sitting upside down with Seafoam soaking in the tubes maybe it will work something loose.
Also looks like one of the tips of the new Pilot screw adjusters broke off and is stuck inside:(. Has anybody had this happen to them? is there any hope of getting it out? I was thinking of heating it up a little maybe the aluminum will expand faster then the brass disslodgeing the piece. well at least thats what I'm hopeing. Otherwise dose anyone have a set of 82 or 83 carbs they would part with? (82 & 83 slow jets can be replaced)

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated and welcome.
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

hello, about the pilot screw, i used a dremel and made a line to use a flat screwdriver, if it still stuck, using a file remove as much as you can so you can pry the pilot screw from behind with vices grips. i've used both ways and worked.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you need to get deeper into the slow jets...ive had to redo this before and your wire tool might not have gone deep enough to get the clog...my wire stopped and i thought that was good enough..redid it and then ran normally...after this you might be ok with the pilot problem...good luck

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

NO real way to get them out..except Randall knows how but doesn't like to share it on the board you may want to email him privately.

Match micro bit to match jet size and drill??? but you will most likely screw up the jet..they are very sensitive..hard to drill straight in to just remove the clog.

You might try getting a micro bit that is a little smaller and turn it with your fingers..a "more force full" wire technique..

all backyard mechanic fixes use at your own risk.

Keeping carb cleaner in there and keep poking with correct size wire. I use an eye dropper to let cleaner sit in the tube top..plug the other end of the jet in the carb throat so the cleaner stays in the jet and doesn't run out into the throat.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

After removing any plastic/rubber parts nearby, you may consider aplying a little heat (to expand) to the body holding the slow jet. May a tap can then grab enough to pull it out. I am sure the orifaces inside are clogged.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

pull your air cutoffs off and tilt the carbs back a tad and then fill the hole going down from the aircutoff chamberwith some pb blaster or carb cleaner and let them sit a few hours. a little air or put the carb cleaner straw down the hole and blast it and see what happens. jb

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

You might try pushing the piece of the adjusting screw out from inside the carb throat. It goes directly into the first little hole at the bottom of the throat. Use a piece of stiff wire and needle nose pliers.
To get the idle jets out find a small sheet metal screw that will screw into the jet and pull them out. It won't hurt the jet because the actual orifice is way down inside the jet.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Boiling them requires total disassembly.

I thought the guy from Venco Wings knew how to remove the press-fit slow jets?

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

I had this same problem while rebuilding my 81 carbs that had sat for 9 years with gas in them. After having the carbs apart 4 times and still no idle I read this thread : http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/28295-1.html

The next day I pulled the carbs apart once again and using a self tapping screw I gently screwed it into the top part of the jet, Above where the metered hole is until it had just bit in. Thenclamping asmall pair of needle nosed vise-grips onto the screw I gently tapped on the vise-grips until I had pulled the pressed in jet out.I used a spare E stringfrom my guitar along with lots of carb cleaner and eventually cleaned all the crap out of the jets without damaging them. Three of the four were totally clogged solid.

I pressed them back in using a steel rod of the same diameter as the jet. Do not clean the outside of the jet or theinside of the hole where it goes with anything abrasive as the jet needs to seat tightly back in the hole.

When I got the carbs back together and on the bike I could tell the difference immediately when the bike started right up and idled smoothly.

Only use method this as a last resort and make sure you have the right size screw. It would be very easy to ruin the jet. When cleaningthe jetsbe patient and do not widen the metered hole at all. Make sure youclean up any damage caused by the screw biting into the upper edge.

Peter

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for all the reply's everybody. I like Peterbylts and Davogd430 Idea of catching some threads and pulling out the slow jets. I'll try it on the carb that has the needle broke off in it first. I might try a little penetrating oil to get them out and re-seat them. I'll let ya'll know what happens. Thanks again Guys

Leon

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I said run a small soft copper wire through the hole, but as Peterbylt says, be careful. You don't want to enlarge the hole.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I didn't try pulling out the slow jets yet. me and my buddy are gonna let them sit and soak. we have been poking at them carefully but we're gonna take our time and not rush. we still have to get that brass tip out. you can see the tip when you look into the throat by the choke paddles. I really don't want to boil them cause I'd have to totally disassemble them.
But for now a little Soaking, Poking & compressed air is what we are trying to clear the slow jets with.
I've been looking at set's of 82 & 83 carbs it's my understanding that they are the same except the slow jets are removable. any body have any knowledge on that matter?
Thanks again everybody for all the help.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

If your jests are clogged anything like the 81 I had there was no way short of maybe ultra sonic cleaning to ever get them clean without removing them. It had the passages clogged even past the jets and there are holes in the sides of the jet that will still be clogged even if you get something through the jet itself.
Yes 82-83 carbs will work and the jets are screwed in.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Correct, you have to remove the jets. Don't put them back in the carbs until you run a VERY small copper wire through and look into light to see it's clear.

You are wasting your time if you can't see the light; no pun intended.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I had to remove and clean all of my low speed jets as well, I tapped the outter part of the jet with a #4=40 tap and used a machine screw threaded into the jet and then used a pair of side cutters to gently pry the jet free of the casting. After cleaning I reinserted the jets and gently tapped them back into place with a punch. It worked very well and carbs now work great!

A slightly differnt twist with the same end result. Hope this helps, Skuzzy.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Hey Guy's,
Thanks for all the advice and great ideas. I found a set of 83 Carb's on E-Bay for $60 with shipping, The add said rough looking but off a running bike. He was right. I threw them on after a little cleaning and the bike ran. I took them back off gave them a better cleaning & swapped out the rebuild kit's from my clogged up 81's plus a new accelerator pump. (I already had). After putting it back together, it fires right up. :action: my Bud & me sync them this weekend. she starts right up without even the choke on. she sounds good too. I was a little worried at first the bike sitting for over 10 years. but I'm felling really good about it now. I ordered a new set of Dunlops this weekend and after I mount the tires I only have to get the brakes straightened out, & do a final assemby.
I can't wait.
I still have the 1981 set of Carb's they look alot better then the 83's but I Give up for now on unclogging them. Maybe I'll put them on E-Bay someone might be able to use them. or maybe trade them for a drivers back rest. I have a couple other things to get rid of that came with the bike when I bought it.
Again Thank you for all the ideas and advice.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Have you put new belts in yet..if not do it, also I'd run some mmo or seafoam in the oil for a 100 miles or so and then do an oil change lots of old grunge in there..probably..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.