Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

#1 - Do most riders keep air pressure in the forks? With air pressure in mine, I am getting some drips of oil, thus I need to change the seals. They've sat unused for ~3 or so yrs so they are due.

#2 - I weigh about 160 lbs.,are the stock fork springs"OK".The bike seems a bitsoft in the front so I figue I may go up on the oil wt or qty. What is the stock wt, 10,15 or 20 wt? What have other done?

thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

orbit398 wrote:
#1 - Do most riders keep air pressure in the forks? With air pressure in mine, I am getting some drips of oil, thus I need to change the seals. They've sat unused for ~3 or so yrs so they are due.

#2 - I weigh about 160 lbs.,are the stock fork springs"OK".The bike seems a bitsoft in the front so I figue I may go up on the oil wt or qty. What is the stock wt, 10,15 or 20 wt? What have other done?

thanks
Commonly used oil is 10 or 15 or ATF. When you replace your seals you might want to check the length of the springs, after some years they tend to sag.The Clymer manual for your bike should show the limits for the spring length. A lot of folks have usedProgressive front springs, check them out at Progressive Suspension's website. I find they have improved the handling of my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

15w is probably the best fork oil for your weight, it's what most of us use. I'm wondering if Progressives would be too hard for you. At 160lbs you probably just don't need them.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

orbit398 wrote:

orbit398,

(1)-front fork pressure can be set to help that soft front end, too much air will make the ride choppy & hinder rebound control. I don't have an 81 so can't tell you how much you need to run but can suggest you try some different pressures & see what happens. If your seals leak you really need to re-seal the forks.

(2)-It's been my experience that most Wing front springs are a little on the soft side, adding air helps a lot so try different air pressures. On my 86 I have added some spring spacers to the tops of the springs to help the soft front end somewhat. Just adding thicker fork oil will help the dampening a little but really won't make the front end much firmer on compression. DO NOT add more fork oil than specified or you will over-fill the forks & chance blowing a seal (or hydraulicking the front end). There needs to be room left at the top for the oil to go when you hit a bump & compress the forks.

I really don't know what the stock fork oil weight is as it doesn't really match up to a given motor oil but most use ATF & that would come out close to a 10 weight motor oil (ATF is rated at different temps & different attributes). Again I can't say for sure on your 81 but I use 15 weight in the forks of my 86 & so far it has given good wheel control in all weather.

Twisty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.