Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, new to this forum and to Honda. Currently have two 70s era Triumphs. Came across a 1981 Goldwing with 46k miles and is in decent condition for 40 year old bike.
The family of the owner had no interest in the bike whatsoever and the first one to take it away could have it. So....I now have a Honda Goldwing with a Vetter Windjammer and a broken frame under the center stand. Has anyone here ever repaired one or is a frame replacement the way to go? Thanks for any replies.

·
Administrator
26,550 Posts
Wouldn't be too hard to replace that piece. You would need to pull the fuel tank & the swing arm which really isn't all that hard once you get started. Or just take it completely apart and go through everything & take the frame to a welding shop. I have dis and re assembled several goldwings, they are really pretty simple, 1000s & 1100s are anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't be too hard to replace that piece. You would need to pull the fuel tank & the swing arm which really isn't all that hard once you get started.
It looks as if this piece is made part of the main frame and not the left side frame piece....which is also rusted through.

·
Administrator
26,550 Posts
It looks as if this piece is made part of the main frame and not the left side frame piece....which is also rusted through.
View attachment 322359
Yes, it is part of the frame but a competent welder could fix it. Probably easier than finding a good frame with a title.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Hi,
I had the tube supporting the centre stand collapse some years back on my 1100. I stripped it all down had a tube welding shop replace the tube. It was fun to rebuild!! 1100 Monster.jpg 100_0901.JPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might be able to weld it. Have you looked for a replacement frame?
Yasir, found many frames but difficult to see actual condition. Plus what kind of hoops would one have to jump through to title one since many are salvage.
Yes, it is part of the frame but a competent welder could fix it. Probably easier than finding a good frame with a title.
Ok good deal
This may be next winter's project.
Thanks for the input
Wow!, what a beautiful bike!
I was thinking along the same line as you did. Get the motor and fuel tank out of the way so in order to make repairs. No stranger to doing rebuilds. Got a 76 Bonneville rebuild going on currently. Fun but tedious.....but in the end is where all the time and effort is found. Finished the 72 Tiger a couple years ago. Had 16k miles...wonderful barn find. You did a nice job on the Goldwing. Like that color blue

·
Registered
62 Posts
That Frame cross member was problem with the older wings. Water would collect and the metal tube rest out. My basket case 78 GL1000 cross tube was so rotten it would twist a bit alllowing center stand and to stop against rear engine case. I think remembering hearing about someone drilling a couple of weep holes to let the water drain. I talked to a welding shop owner friend about the repair. I sold the bike before fixing, but he said easy enough to replace tube.

·
Administrator
26,550 Posts
Gotta say, the weld on the frame rail below the rusted section does not look factory
But it is, they all look pretty much like that. I built an 82 and ground all the welds on the frame to smooth them out.

Reactions: Free Goldwings

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welding visual quality has always been a comment on most of the Japanese makes, the old Brit stuff was mostly brazed which always looks tidier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts