Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently removed the starter from my 81 Interstate after the starter failed. I followed the guide ( How to remove, rebuild and reinstall your starter )posted by Tim Wentzell. Great article! I found a broken wire on one of the brushes;the brush was out of line and worn more than the otherso Iinstalled new brushes.

The article describes six washers, three on each end of the armature. I discovered that I had only one washer on one end of the armature and two on the other end. I have searched for more information about the necessity of having six total or if it is possible to have been built with only three but have found no answers.

When I bought the bike it was in sad shape with two of the carb floats lying in the bottom of the bowls and several other problems.Iinstalled new brushes in the starter two years ago but do not recall a problem with the washers. ( I can't be sure I didn't lose some at that time but I know I did not lose any this time)I have ridden the bike for two years since rebuilding thestarter and other thingsprior tothe starterfailing.

If I need to buy new washers, where can I find them? Parts diagrams I've seen do not show washers available. please help!

Dennis

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I have rebuilt 2 starters recently, both had different shim from each other. I put it back the way I found them and both work awesome. nothing to hurt to try it.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
imported post

They are shimmed to fit the armature to the housing, no set # of shims, just reuse the ones you have.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks for the info...I'll put it back the way I found it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.