Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good day all! Very new to the forum and got a general question. I have the opportunity to buy a 1981 GL1100 for $500 from the original owner. He says its been sitting for 3 years in his garage and its got to go. So far I've read here I'll need to clean out the tank, the carbs/jets and possibly resync the carbs. Other than basic mechanical checks, i.e. plugs, belts, radiator, etc... What else should I expect to find?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,152 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum bigjnsa!

As you've already found, there is a ton of information on here to help you.

I'm no good on 1100s so will let the experts guide you on that.

In the meantime, would you mind looking on the right side of the page (titles or main page) and click on "My Account", once there, click on Profile and fill in your location.

That will help a bunch in getting you the right information.

·
Premium Member
1982 naked gl1100
2,576 Posts
imported post

check the tires/change the fluids.

ride ride ride

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Probably plan on new tires, and maybe fork seals. Also, possible bad fuel pump (due to drying out internally) and bad fuel line (dry rotted). I would change all fluids ie; antifreeze, oil, differential oil. If it has been stored inside, it would definately be in better shape than one stored outside. Before starting it, squirt a little oil down each spark plug hole and crank engine with kill switch in off position a few times before reinstalling plugs, to keep from breaking a ring or two. Also, check to make sure rats or mice has not made a nest in the air cleaner. For the price, I'd take a chance on it. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!.:cool:

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

I too am in the process of restoring an 1100. Mine is a 81 Interstate. So far mine has been in rather good running condition and had only been stored a few months when I bought it. It was an everyday rider prior to that.

So far this Forum has been a Godsend of information so listen to these guys and gals as they REALLY know what they are talking about.

I have so far had to:

Replace rear shocks (one had a broken mounting bracket and they leaked air)

Replace the front fork seals

Replace the brushes in the starter and clean all the electrical contacts

Ran some Sea Foam through the gasoline to help with the idle and engine performance

Changed all the fluids as recommended earlier

Still have a cooling fan that will not come on so it heats up when in heavy traffic but runs fine on the road (working on this one still)

I would check everywhere for leaks once to get it started and running. Seals and gaskets dry out and can be a real problem. Sitting for a long time is not good for the bike and Gold Wings LOVE to run, run, run.

The biggest thing I have seen mentioned on here is the timing belts. The 1100 is a strong engine and will basically run forever. It has been told to me that one of the few things that can kill one is the timing belts breaking. They are fairly inexpensive but they are a bit of a job to replace from what I have read. I will be taking mine down this winter for some real renovation work and will definitely replace those belts when I do.

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys for all the input. I'm learning a LOT already about getting her to run again. The owner gave me more information... 102k miles, rear brake sticks (needs a new spring), horn doesn't work (he installed an air horn), starter is weak and will overheat if you hold the button down. I also asked him about the water pump and he says he's had no leakage problem (which if I'm reading right, is quite common if you don't use the right antifreeze).

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

first of all, check out randakks site for really good advice on starting an oldewing that has been sitting....
change the belts,
figure you will spend about $500 on it
change the belts
did I mention to change the belts?

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

BTW, $500 is a very good price. Worst case, you could part it out and probably double your money or better.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
btw, where is this bike located.... I will offer him $550 just based on your pic
That was the only one he had and that was from his trip to Colorado in '96. I'm going this weekend to actually see the condition its in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.