Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I don't guess it's much of a secret that I'm trying to rebuild a set of '81 GL1100 carbs! (understatement, right?) Based upon my desire to be thrifty, I decided upon the Keyster KH-0387N carb kits. The only prob is they do not include the o-rings for the transfer tubes. Therein lies the problem. The larger tube measures an i.d. of 6.15mm & o.d. of 8.95mm for the carb port to which it corresponds. Therefore, I'm thinking a 6mm x 1.5mm o-ring... the smaller tube comes in at 3.18mm i.d. and 5.0mm o.d. for its corresponding carb port and I'm saying it must be a 3mm x 1mm o-ring. Am I oversimplifying? Is there something flawed in my thinking, because I've had a dickens of a time locating these o-rings. I went to a Honda dealership yesterday and paid 5 bucks apiece for one and 2 bucks apiece for the other to have them ordered and shipped to me. I didn't get two miles down the road, before I came to my senses, called back and cancelled the order. (Pride cometh before a fall??) I know I can second source these o-rings at a more reasonable rate, I just want to be sure before I buy in bulk (necessary in order to buy from a distributor) that I have done due diligence in determining their respective sizes.
Therefore, I'm appealing to you more experienced hands to give me a headsup, before I bite my nose off to spite my face (It's such a tempting offer! LOL).
Thanks as always!
Don :action:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Buy some bulk O-ring cord from Mc Master Carr and a tube of super glue. Or cut larger ones down from hardware store stock. Get Buna 70 0r 90 stock (most any black O-ring is Buna). Cut the cord square with razor blade and deburr, then a thin dab of super glue on one end and set together. The joint properly done is stronger than the cord. Proper interference on an O-ring is 0.005" so you can gauge whether a certain non-Metric size will work. too much interference and the cord will extrude in the gap.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

You guys have restored my faith in second sourcing parts, thanks!
As always, I appreciate the help!
Don :clapper:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.