Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm a new guy, so be gentle. I got an 81 Wing off Fraidy Cat. The starter would'nt turn the engine and squeezing the clutch leverdid'nt disengage. How much special tooliing am I gonna need to remove the discs and associated items to determine what's the dang deal? By the way, this poor thing was drowned in Tropical Storm Allison. J DUB in Tomball, Texas USA

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Ouch.. If you had it drowning in water, you could have some serious issues with rusted up stuff inside the motor. I think a complete motor teardownis in order.

IF you want to go another route, there's a guy in Seguin that parts out bikes, and he has whole motors most of the time. I have an '81 parts bike, but I may hang onto the motor for just in case.

I am in Austin, if yoiu need some help. I travel to Houston on occasion.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Ray, the guy I got it from had been running it after the drowning. I had the engine off and the back end open. Replaced the rusted and broken Starter Clutch springs and Rollers. I pulled the timing belt cover and rotated the engine with a ratchet thinking as you did something is rusted up. I'm gonna try pulling the plugs to keep the compression from holding back rotation.

Later, John

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

You might just find that all the problems will be clutch and starter related. I can't see engine problems once you have drained the oil and replaced it. Why not remove the back engine cover and replace the clutch and inspect the starter clutch rollers as well?
Also have you checked the clutch cable? It might simplybe seized from the drowning.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem with the clutch on my 1200 when I bought it. All I had to do was bleed the clutch. Apparently this is a common problem for a wing that has been sitting for an extended period. It might be worth checking before you tear down the clutch. (I am assuming your model year has a hydraulic clutch as well)

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The hydraulic clutch started with the '84 GL1200. Before that it was mechanical. If water got in the system and stayed long enough, many parts could get gunked up depending on how long it stayed, and how the system was flushed afterwards.

I bought a 428CJ motor that had water in the intake, and it seized the piston rings to the cylinder walls.

Raymond

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Like FitsAl says, check the clutch cable for movement. The cable connects to the clutch behind the engine just around where your right foot would sit on the pegs. You will see the cable attached to a small arm, disconnect the cable there and see if you can push the cable it in and out of the sleeve, the clutch lever shouldmove with it. then grab the arm and try and move it upward, you mayneed a pair of pliers or a screwdriver to get the leverage you need. Good luck

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Found my problem a couple of weeks ago. Ya gotta get your eyes down level when ya put that clutch cover on or the striker will be off to one side.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Off the subject, But thought I'd let you Texas boys know that the Houston Astros called my daughter and they're going to fly her down there to "Sing" at their July 27 th game ! I told her don't hold back you better throw "HEAT" cause "Roger the Rocket" Clemons will be watching,ha! Her name is "Corban"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.