Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Last year my speedo worked fine. Then toward the end of the season it started jumping around up and down. Then it quit working. I ordered a replacement from eBay and put it on but the speedo still doesn't work.

:shock:

Is there something that holds the speedo in place because mine just moves around the wheel? It looks like from the pictures in the manuals that there is a plate of some kind it should link to.

:?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

There is a speed sensor that the cable hooks into at the wheel. Have you taken the cable out to see if it may be broke?

Also, there is a sensor ring under the dust seal of the wheel. It has two dog ears that connect in the sensor to make the cable turn. I thought my speedo was shot, but it was that part.

Borrowed GSMclean's pic to show you the sensor ring

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Here is what it looks like out of the wheel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

That must be the culprit here. I checked the new sensor unit and cable when I got them and they turned freely but I don't recall seeing this piece.

Thanks so much.
:toast:

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Assuming that the 1100 and 1200 are similar. Drop the front tire and wheel. On the left side of the wheel where the axle goes through is the "sensor" fpr the speedo. If you disconnect the cable from this "sensor" {one screw} you can use a drill with a flat tip screwdriver bit to insert it into the cable end and spin it both ways while looking at the speedo. It should read something, probably less than 20 mph. the odo should start moving. If this happens then your problem is in the "sensor". Remove the axle from the wheel and the "sensor" will basically fall of in your hand. You should then see the piece from the pictures still on the wheel where the axle goes through. If it appears to be in the same shape as the one in the pic, it is good. You should be able to see the broken piece in the wheel side of the sensor. Replace this whole part (57 bucks plus shipping although you might find it cheaper or more expensive depending on where you shop) and place new unit as you found the old one. When replacing front wheel, pay attention to where the sensor faces once the axle is tight. This unit doesnt move once back together and the speedo cable has to be able to reach without a tight bend at the end. Also, only tighten the speedo cable end screw enough to snug it together. It is very possible to overtighten and break the cheap plastic end. If youcan spin the wheel while you are putting the cable to the "sensor" you can visualize that the slot from the cable is actually engaging the flat piece from the "sensor". BTW, if the speedo doesnt move with the drill, the problem is the cable or the speedo. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Does anyone have a part number or a source where this part can be purchased?

:?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I went to a motorcycle junk yard and popped one out of a front wheel that the other stuff had been taken out of, the guy didn't charge me anything.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

The plastic ring broke on my 83. I took it out and welded the little ears back on. Works fine so far, but doubt it's much of a permanent fix.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

That was the problem. Got one from Mother Honda. They even had one in stock. $5.98.

:clapper:

Installed it and jacked the front wheel off the ground. Spun the wheel and the speedometer worked.

:dude:

Thanks All.

:action:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

:)Glad you got it going.........and more shocking Honda had it in stock!!!

Safe Rides!!:waving:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.