Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL1100 Goldwing Interstate
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 1981 Honda GL1100 Gold Wing Interstate.
ALL of the bags, trunk, covers, parts did come with the bike. I did also receive a transferable registration.

The bike is NOT a perfect beauty queen, but at the same time for its age its in damn good condition.
I have hooked a battery to is and all lights, horn, turn signals, dash board, radio ETC are in working condition.
I traded a broken 22Cal riffle for it, so in reality I got the bike for nothing.

NOW THE BAD.
What I do know is that the bike has been in storage since 2008. the fuel tank has rust in the bottom of it (im planning to flush it with acid) and the carburetors are soo gummed up that the throttle does not work. I has the kerosene smell of bad gas.
If shooting Ether in the carbs it will fire.

Knowing that the carburetors are soo gummed up that they are seized ....... is the bike worth fixing, or is it best to part out?

I am going to assume the carbs are beyond re-buildable.

Thanks

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
No, the carbs are probably not beyond rebuildable. Unless they have been left in water and corroded they will most likely be fine.

Reactions: BadMonk's1200

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
Depends on your skills. They are not difficult in my opinion. Looks good, definitely worth fixing.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
If you get real frustrated with the carbs,you can single carb it for about 200 dollars

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does single carbing hurt the HP
And is there a thread on how to do it?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Dang right it worth fixing,those aren’t too difficult to get out clean,might take them to someone tha can vat them,it’s a good start,the tank,now that another horse of a different color,some remov it for good cleanib

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tank I'm not too worried about....ive cleaned a bunch of steel tanks before, and I just use muriatic acid from a pool store.
I've never delt with carburetors sooo gummed up that they were seized.... thats the part that worries me about getting into a never ending mess....fight with the carbs....then fuel pump...then what else

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Good carb cleaner and v
ultasonic will do wonders,you might have to buy some vacuum pots if they are cracked.
just dig int them

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
The tank I'm not too worried about....ive cleaned a bunch of steel tanks before, and I just use muriatic acid from a pool store.
I've never delt with carburetors sooo gummed up that they were seized.... thats the part that worries me about getting into a never ending mess....fight with the carbs....then fuel pump...then what else
It's pretty common on those, fuel residue on the throttle shafts. It's not that bad you just don't have good leverage on them from the grip. Take the carbs out, a book helps, and take the bowls off and see what they look like inside.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,757 Posts
Harbor Freight has a UltraSonic cleaner that will handle one carb at a time.
well worth it for carbs.

Simple Green and a few hours in the UltraSonic cleaner will make them clean.
Carb cleaner will do the job much faster.

the UltraSonic cleaner tank is Stainless Steel, so you can use any cleaner you want, just don't breathe the fumes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)
Harbor Freight has a UltraSonic cleaner that will handle one carb at a time.
well worth it for carbs.

Simple Green and a few hours in the UltraSonic cleaner will make them clean.
Carb cleaner will do the job much faster.

the UltraSonic cleaner tank is Stainless Steel, so you can use any cleaner you want, just don't breathe the fumes.
Thanks for the tip.

My wife has what looks like the same thing for her jewelry...it might be a little smaller than what HF has, but hopefully I can break the carb down small enough to fit in it.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
By golly they look pretty good outside and in the intake,

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
All that will clean up,the ones I hate have had moisture in them and they are toast,I think you job will be small

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
O no,that ain’t good,you need to remove rage tab on the jets,that was put on to keep owners from running them too rich for emissions but sometimes they need more adjustment area,I suspect your gonna need another carb on that one,try spraying them with carb cleaner befor removal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is the only one that is stuck in the carb....
I'm going to try drilling it out tomorrow when I'm not sooo pissed

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,757 Posts
harbor freight has a small UltraSonic cleaner that can do a great job cleaning stuff up like that.
I bought one last summer, useful for lots of things.... like cleaning your eyeglasses or jewelry

1 - 20 of 77 Posts