Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL1100 Goldwing Interstate
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
harbor freight has a small UltraSonic cleaner that can do a great job cleaning stuff up like that.
I bought one last summer, useful for lots of things.... like cleaning your eyeglasses or jewelry
Thanks...... I've been using my wife`s jewelry cleaner.... I just have to keep rotating the carburetor to get full coverage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Weeeeelll........that project died fast....the carb is screwed now.....sucks because things were starting to go well before the needle broke

Now trying to find carbs locally

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I found a set of carbs on ebay.... so the thread is going to sit idle for a bit.

I did think about going to the single carb conversion, but I figured I should make sure the bike runs properly before I make a switch like that......this way if there is an issue, with the bike running, I know its not caused by the carburator conversion.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
If the carbs run good I would leave it stock,they work really good

Reactions: knied1

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
These don't look to have moisture in them.

Carb #1 is done.....but there is an issue with carb 2....not going to be easy getting this one out
Cut down into the top of the screw with a fine hacksaw blade or dremmel cutoff wheel. Don't worry about making a slot in the carb body, it won't hurt it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for the tip.
Unfortunately the brass was soo week nothing would work....the brass flaked away.
I also tried to drill out the center, and use an ez out.... the brass stripped away by hand before had a chance to pit a tap handle on the ez out... i went up to the next size and the same thing happened....and again until I have no more room to get an ez out in it.....unfortunatly the carb is shot because of it..... i was able to find a complete set of carbs on ebay for $70 delivered.

I work in a machine shop so I'm very familiar with getting broken bolts of all types of materials out....this material is sooooo soft there was no getting it out......it explains why it broke off in the first place.

Thanks again

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
Thanks for the tip.
Unfortunately the brass was soo week nothing would work....the brass flaked away.
I also tried to drill out the center, and use an ez out.... the brass stripped away by hand before had a chance to pit a tap handle on the ez out... i went up to the next size and the same thing happened....and again until I have no more room to get an ez out in it.....unfortunatly the carb is shot because of it..... i was able to find a complete set of carbs on ebay for $70 delivered.

I work in a machine shop so I'm very familiar with getting broken bolts of all types of materials out....this material is sooooo soft there was no getting it out......it explains why it broke off in the first place.

Thanks again
Those screws are made to break off easily so people don't tighten them too much and ruin the carb body.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My carburetors and rebuild kit came today.
Now starts carb cleaning 2.0.

I also decided to buy one of the harbkrfreight ultrasonic cleaners ..... this way i can run two at the same time.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
If you use the parts in that bag you will probably be disappointed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yea.....realizing it's not the best quality

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,757 Posts
historically,
only OEM carb parts will work correctly.

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
Yea.....realizing it's not the best quality
Plus there are a lot of things there you don't need and lots of things not it there you do need. Besides the jets probably the wrong size, the bowl gaskets won't fit etc. If you are going to do a good job a Randakks carb kit is the only decent alternative. But they seem to be out of stock. You can get the parts from Honda but you have to order multiple items and the cost is way more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Is there a way to remove the pilot jet on these carbs?.....ive soaked the carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner for over an hour each....everything is clean, I just can not figure out how to get the pilot jet out, and nobit does not have a slot for a flat head screwdriver.
The jet I'm referring to is the one I'm pointing to in the picture.....when I blow thru the hole I'm pointing to in the second picture I can barely feel air come out of that jet....and I'm using my shop Air compressor to blow into it.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
Yes it is possible. I use a sharp pointed sheet metal screw and others use a small EZ out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was able to get the pilot jets out.

I am being told that I can not buy 1980 and 1981 jets since they are pressed in.
I am also being told that the only difference between the 80 - 81 and the 82- 83 are the pilot jets in the 82 - 83 are threaded and not pressed in....... that being said, has anyone threaded the carb ports to accept the jets for 82 and 83, and if so how deep should I thread the carb bodies?

Thanks

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
Why not clean your jets and reuse them?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The one came out with some damage to the end I used the ez-out in

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
The one came out with some damage to the end I used the ez-out in
Won't hurt anything. The actual jet is way down inside it. When you get it cleaned out you can look through it toward a light and see the tiny orifice. I pull a strand from a wire brush to clean those out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sounds like a plan.....I am able to see thru the jet and I can see the honeycomb like material inside the jet, and yes I can see light thru it

21 - 40 of 77 Posts