Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL1100 Goldwing Interstate
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
So I'm guessing you don't believe the breaker will work?

Since I already have it I may as well use it.

What I like is if it does trip in 30 seconds it re-sets. Where a fuse when it blows it needs to be replaced.

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
The breaker should be OK to use.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Back out in the barn.
The bike is cranking over fine...It will fire if I spray ether in the carbs.
I opened up the fuel pump and cleaned it and it is now pumping fuel.

When I pull the plugs all 4 are dry.

I can believe all 4 carbs are plugged, so my question is ....... is it.possible that even though the fuel pump is pumping, could it not be pumping enough pressure? Does anyone know how much pressure the pump should be pumping?

Thanks

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
If it's pumping it's enough. It can't pump less or more pressure than it's designed for. If the bike has been sitting for a long time the carbs are plugged up period.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I just got done cleaning the carbs.
All 4 carbs were removed and put in an ultrasonic cleaner....new float valves...all ports blown thru new low idle air screws.

With all 4 spark plugs being dry I can't believe it's the carbs......maybe one of them wasn't clean well enough but I can't believe all 4

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,951 Posts
If it runs when you give it fuel from an external source, the pump isn't working or, the pump isn't getting fuel.
Or...the hose from the pump is plugged.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Tomorrow I'm going to get some new fuel line and a cheep 12v electric fuel pump.

That should at least eliminate the fuel pump as an issue.

If the fuel pump solved the issue, I'll do the conversion to electric pump.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,757 Posts
Be very careful with that Electric Fuel pump.

be sure it is 3.5 psi MAX, some of them push 10 psi or more, and will flood the carbs/engine cylinders.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Thanks for the tip ...... I did find on some other posts of people doing the Electric pump conversion that they are using a 2 to 4 psi "low pressure" pump. I didn't see any that low on the websites of my local parts stores so I ordered one off Amazon, I should have it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
889 Posts
I just got done cleaning the carbs.
All 4 carbs were removed and put in an ultrasonic cleaner....new float valves...all ports blown thru new low idle air screws.

With all 4 spark plugs being dry I can't believe it's the carbs......maybe one of them wasn't clean well enough but I can't believe all 4
Maybe the pump pushed some more gunk into the carbs, you may have plugged needle/seats.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
It's alive!!!!!

Now I need to decide if I want to do an electric fuel pump conversion or get a new mechanical fuel pump.

She is idling a bit rough, but if it's running I am guessing it can be tuned. My question is the air screws......they were set at 2-1/2 turns out but factory is 1-1/2. If I move them to 2-1/2 out will it have an effect on the idle?

Thanks to everyone for all their help.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,951 Posts
Those screws are set through an idle drop procedure. Call it a tune if you like but it's not easy and requires an electronic tachometer. Have you done a vacuum balance yet?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I was just able to get it to run...I figured before I start messing with the tune on it ...... I would get some feedback from this forum......but I did not mess with the screws that are between the carburetors..... the yellow paint marker on the threads is still there.

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
.. the yellow paint marker on the threads is still there.
They need synchronized anyway especially since you have had the carbs apart.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I ordered a 4 gauge sync kit from amazon.....I should have it tomorrow.

I'm hoping it's as easy to sync the carbs as it looks on YouTube.

I just keep diving further in this rabbit hole LOL

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
889 Posts
Often these bikes are not as expensive to repair as the tools needed to do it! 🤣 MORE TOOLS! 😁

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Often these bikes are not as expensive to repair as the tools needed to do it! 🤣 MORE TOOLS! 😁
Luckily my wife has the attitude that a tool can always be reused and not a waste of money..... I almost never hear her complain about me spending money on tools

61 - 77 of 77 Posts