Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their responses. There are definitely some suggestions I will follow up on. I have been checking some things with a test light and now I am more confused than ever. Here is what's been going on the last couple of days. I was beginning to think there was a poor connection somewhere so I started checking all the connectors on the bike. They all seem to be good but somewhere during this fiddling the dash lights came on and amazingly the bike started without hesitation with the starter button. It idled nicely too. I shut it off and was replacing some bulbs in the dash and everything went dead again. Using a test light I seem to have power everywhere. The main fuse, the starter button, the coils, the sockets in the dash. I have continuity in the cable from the battery to the starter but I'm still in a no start no power situation. I still think this may be a connection issue but I'm at a loss on what I should do next. I must admit I'm pretty ignorant about electrical issues so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Does the starter run....???

You need to identify if it is a "Starting" circuit issue OR an Ignition" circuit issue.

This will narrow down the number of locations you need to check for the power loss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Okay, I'm closing in. Found that the ground wire at the rear of the engine wasn't making good contact. I tightened that and have horn, turn signals headlight etc, but still nothing from the start button. It does feel like it may be gummed up. I watched a video on disassembling and cleaning it but that looks pretty tricky. Has anyone done that and how difficult is it?

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
Take your test light, clip to ground, probe yellow/red wire at solenoid and push button, does it light? If it does the button is working. Probe green/red wire& push the button, does it light, if it does you don't have ground to the solenoid. Is the neutral light on? Try pulling in the clutch and test again.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,702 Posts
Cleaning the switch isn't that hard, you just have to be careful to not lose anything.
Helps to use a big 2.5 gallon ziplock baggie over your hands to catch that little Spring when it goes flying out of there.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Just make the tests that DaveO430 said to make and you will soon know why your bike won't start.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just make the tests that DaveO430 said to make and you will soon know why your bike won't start.
I got it. Went back and checked the connections to the starter button and the grounds. I had not tightened the ground enough. It evidently was making enough contact to light the dash and work the other electrics but not enough to activate the starter. The bike now starts with a touch of the starter button I'm glad I didn't try and disassemble the starter button, I probably would have screwed it up
Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions, I don't think I could have done it without them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
i just bought a decent looking 1981 Goldwing. I pulled the ignition switch because there was no key. Took it to a locksmith and had a new key made and now it seems to work fine..

When I plugged it back in and turned it to on I got nothing, no crank, no lights, nothing. The battery is brand new.

I found the main 30a fuse to be bad and replaced it. Still nothing. I removed the starter relay to better clean it and found another 30a fuse connecting the 2 large posts on top of the relay.

Is there supposed to be a fuse between those 2 posts? It doesn't seem like there should be. Can anyone shed some light on this and also what else could cause this no power situation other than the main fuse/fuses?
Thanks,
bix49
I know this sounds crazy; did you check the onoff switch on the right handle bar?

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
I know this sounds crazy; did you check the onoff switch on the right handle bar?
The only thing that turns off is the ignition.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts