Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lash:i have a 1981 gl 1100 it misses at idle and back fires in all gears it feels like it wants to catch and go and sometimes does any body have any ideas what this could be just to say what i have done trying to isolate this problem changed plugs,used seafoam,new fuel filter,cleaned lines.i bought this bike 4 months ago and not sure what is original or not.itook off the air filter cleaned that as well and i see only 1 carb with a box below it and 4 pipes to each cyclinder is this how it should look book says 4 carbs not familiar with honda i know on inline 4 i can see all 4 carbs not here this is my only transportation so any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
211 Posts
a stock 81 should have 4 carbs, not 1. hopefully someone with single carb setup knowlege will be along shortly.

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
It has been changed to a single carb. The problem is most likely not with the carb but the ignition system. Remove all 4 plugs and connect them to the wires and lay the plugs on the heads and crank it over and look for spark. If there is none on some of them or it looks weak then test from 1 side to the other on 1&2 (front) and 3&4 (rear) with an ohm meter, you should have about 26K ohms, if no continuity take the plug caps off the wires (they unscrew) and test again ,about 16K ohms now, then check the caps individually, about 5K each.

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
I think you didn't understand what I suggested for you to do, has nothing to do with the spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
I would think it's the ignition system, too. Have you checked the main fuse at the solenoid to the right of the battery? If the PO (previous owner) took the time to switch it from 4 to a 1 carb setup, I'd think he/she would have upgraded the main fuse from the crappy OEM "dogbone" fuse to a blade type fuse. If the fuse and/or connections at the solenoid are poor, the bike will run poorly in all gears since all power goes through those connections.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you are right about the fuse it is a blade type and it is fine i have replaced the solenoid and the starter.that all tests good

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
If you find issues with coils I have just done a changeover to Dodge Neon coil. Stock ones are no longer available and the change was pretty simple. PM me if interested and I will give you more info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
might as well send me info on coils the way this is going if its not wrong now it soon will be and thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.