Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like some help on what maybe the cause and if I am looking in the correct direction?
My problem is that when I press the starter button I hear a clicking sound.
I have jump a wire between the plus side of the battery to the solid black wire to the stater. The starter turns the engine over.
I have seen discussion that if one do not hear a clicking sound from the solenoid, replace it. As I do hear the "click" , "click" sound.
Is there somewhere else I should look for? Yes the kill switch is set to "run."

Thank you for your help,

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

If you can hear the click, then the solenoid is faulty. The click means the power from the starter button is getting to the solenoid and its obviously not getting to your starter motor. You have already bypassed the solenoid with the wire to the motor, so you need a new solenoid.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you for the hint. It was indeed the solenoid. Now with the new solenoid the starter starts very fast. Sometime I get a starter that wants to run away.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Well done man. At least you are getting away on the cheap with a solenoid!

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

dod1450 wrote:
Sometime I get a starter that wants to run away.

Whats that mean? If it means that the starter keeps turning when you release the start button, that can be dangerous, it could in worst case start a fire if it doesnt release.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

I had a sticking starter button on a CB500 once. The starter wouldn't disengage and ruined itself before I realized what the noise was and I ended up having to buy a new starter. All for the sake of spraying some WD40 on the starter button!

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

dod1450, glad you got it sorted out.

The running away sound you hear from the starter is most likely the starter clutch slipping. When the engine is very cold, sometimes the 4 cylinder Wings do this because the stater clutch rollers do not engage firmly with the starter clutch cage. It could be wear, oil that is too thick or sometimes rust in the starter clutch that causes this to happen.

Many Wing owners flush their engines with a high detergent lightweight oil and the problem often goes away, but, if it continues to run away it may get to the point where it will no longer engage enough to start the bike and then will have to be replaced. The engine must be removed to do so.

Vic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.