Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Where are the pick ups and timing advancer on an 81 gl1100? I'm amusing its under the gas tank? If so does any one have a good idea on how to remove the gas tank, looksl ike you have to kind of tilt it, I have all the brackets off and it moves forward and back, but I can't get it out.
Thanks
Rob

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

The pulse generator/advance assembly is on the rear of the engine between the clutch and the stator. Getting the tank out is quite a project. You have to remove the rear wheel, the fender, the shocks and the rear master cylinder if I remember right.
What sort of problem are you having?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

the bike really chatters at low rpm and at idle, went threw the carbs did the t-belts,synced them as well plugs look ok. Compression is ok, all i can figure is that its ignition timing.. anything above 2500k the bike goes pretty well, it almost sounds like it pings as well. When you rev the motor it is slow to fall from about 2k to idle.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You're showing a 1000 in your profile so is this a bike of a friend you're working on? The 1100's have electronic ignition so all timing is controlled mostly by correct timing alignment of the cam belts.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

sorry i have both a gl1000 and now a gl1100, aligninIg cam marks will get your valve timing correct, i am referring to ignition timing. i have checked the valve timing twice, and it appears to be correct. I was hoping i didn't have to take the fender out to get the gas tank out, but i guess i'll have to give it a try. The bike feels like the cylinders are not synced, but a trustworthy bike shop in town says they are.. so i'm leaning toward iginition. Unless someone thinks I can contort my self in such a way as to remove the advancer without taking the gas tank out?

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

I will almost guarantee it is not a timing problem. You still have carb problems, possibly the air cutoff valves or other vacuum leak somewhere.

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

The only sure way is with a timing light. 1100s just almost never have an ignition timing problem and by what you described it sure reminds me of vacuum leaks. Use an unlit propane torch to check around the intake runners for leaks. If the leak is an air cutoff it won't show up with that test.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

is the 1981 gl1100 a mechanical timing advancer or is it vacuum? Also.. is there a good way to get the pilots out of the 81 carbs? Seems like they are pressed in

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

It has both mechanical and vacuum advance.
The jets can be removed with a small sheet metal screw or screw extractor.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

does it pull the vacuum from the carb's? if so I think i'm missing that line, and maybe thats my problem.. I should have known that you could use a sheet rock screw, time to pull them apart again.. and you sugest that I do the air valves as well correct? I assume there are 4 of them?

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Yes there are 4 air cutoff valves . on the side of the carb body , 3 screw cover . I dont think even romoveing the fuel tank will get you to the ignition advance . I think the swingarm blocks it in . The vacuum advance hose comes from #3 carb (right rear ). IT should run ok without vacuum . those vacuum advance diaphrams are prone to breaking and leaking .

I think you still have carb fuel circuit issue .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.