Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys and Gals,
After my rebuild, the two carbs in pic, seem to be leaking from somewhere on top of the carbs. Is this simply floats not seating seat, or is there something else than could leak from up there?
Thanks for help

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

You either got the floats set too high or the valves are not sealing.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for your response Dave, I have tried to set the floats lower, will try again, however, not sure what valves you mean. Will you explain more?

Attachments

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Float valves.

JD

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks, dah. :) I will take apart once again lol

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

from looking at the second picture it could be leaking from the seal between the plenum halves

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ah, that is what i was hoping, thanks dave will take apart tomorrow and see what orings I need.

I think others here have used parts-n-more,,, this says it is oem.. for only $9.. seems too cheap. anyone know if this is oem? really?

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/gl1100/?filters[category]=carb&filters[model]=gl1100&filters[fitting]=custom

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Let us know how they work from parts-n- more, I need some also and that's a great price. I'm going to wait for spring before I tackle taking off the carbs again, not a fun job. I had taken them off earlier this fall and cleaned them out, made a large difference in performance, but developed a drip from 2 carbs, I didn't use any kits or new seals. Also split the manifold and did 2 at time to eliminate resynching. Runs great. Didn't touch any linkage. I would buy the needle & seats with the filter on the backside, they appear OEM.

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,088 Posts
imported post

I would also change the o-rings at the ends of the fuel supply tubes. Have a close look at the float valve shutoff. the tips are rubber and if they are the originals, they do deteriorate over time.

You should check them for leaks before you reinstall them. Get some fuel line and a container. Connect the fuel line to the carb rack and the container. Then raise the container to apply some pressure to the float shut offs. If they leak start over.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks guys! Dave, thank u for being a great human for this forum.
JP, I was thinking I have seen/read of a test for the floats, but can't find. I have rack on bench with gas overhead, but can't picture how to see if valves are doing job. Do I turn rack over with carb bowl off in order to see?
Tks, Patrick

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,088 Posts
imported post

The carbs should be upright, in the same orientation as when installed on the bike. Put the fuel supply about 2 feet above the carbs. Think of the IV used in a hospital. This should provide enough pressure to prove the floats are shutting off the gas. If not, it should provide a clue as to where the fuel is coming from.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
imported post

take the domes and sliders out and you can see the jet in the throat, if gas wells up out of it the floats are not sealing. with a good light you can see down thejet and see the actual fuel level, shpuld be about a 1/4 inch or slightly less down in the jet when the floats are right. They can leak at the plenum gasket but also where the carb joins the plenum on 3 and 4 they have an o-ring on a fuel passages for both the supply and the accelerator pump

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

dcassibo wrote:
Let us know how they work from parts-n- more, I need some also and that's a great price. I'm going to wait for spring before I tackle taking off the carbs again, not a fun job. I had taken them off earlier this fall and cleaned them out, made a large difference in performance, but developed a drip from 2 carbs, I didn't use any kits or new seals. Also split the manifold and did 2 at time to eliminate resynching. Runs great. Didn't touch any linkage. I would buy the needle & seats with the filter on the backside, they appear OEM.
I have purchessed alot of stuff from parts and more always great price and have never had a problem

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

TBear wrote:
take the domes and sliders out and you can see the jet in the throat, if gas wells up out of it the floats are not sealing. with a good light you can see down thejet and see the actual fuel level, shpuld be about a 1/4 inch or slightly less down in the jet when the floats are right. They can leak at the plenum gasket but also where the carb joins the plenum on 3 and 4 they have an o-ring on a fuel passages for both the supply and the accelerator pump
Thanks tb, I am hoping between the plenum gasket and the fuel passage o-rings I ordered from Randakk will do the trick.
This will be my phoenix rising, yet.
:smiler:

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

Great to see you again, and working on your wing friend. It was not that long ago that you had that terrible mishap. I look forward to following your progress. And wish the best throughout.

Warmest regards,

RED

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Easy way to check for leaks..put a piece of paper in the plenum set up fuel source turn on and watch where paper gets wet first..at the center seam or from one of more of the carbs. Also you can put paper down the slider shaft..on top of the jet openings same deal..turn on gas and see what happens leaves no doubt if fuel is rising out of the jets.

Be sure to level carbs on workbench..I use a small leverl on the plenum and use wood under the intake tubes to get it level.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Thanks RB will do as described. and report back ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.