Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the thread and to Goldwings. Actually I'm a new rider altogether and unfortunately know very little about bikes. Here's my problem.

Went out for a ride and waited till I got to the end of the earth to pull over for a break and to smoke a cig. When I got back on the bike, I turned the key and no dash lights, no anything. I made sure I had it in neutral and hit the starter button just in case my dash lights were simply out. Nothing. Checked the battery, the main fuse, and the other fuses on top of the gas tank and all are good. It was working fine before this, except for one night about two weeks ago I started the bike and I had no headlights. Turned it off and back on and I had lights but when I put them on high beam they went off. Killed the engine and started it back up and everything worked fine and it hasn't done that since.

I don't even know what to look at first. I've called everywhere for someone to check it out, but the only place is the Honda Dealership and it's closed on Mondays for some silly reason.

Any suggestions? :praying: thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Check the ignition switch.
X2

IF everything else is ok, thats most likely the problem. The harness could just have come loose, or the internal rivets that hold the wire connectors come loose. They are easy to fix, just pull the switch apart and a hammer and punch will tighten the rivets back up. If you need more info please let me know.

Welcome.

Bill

·
Registered
211 Posts
check ALL your connections. it sounds like either the neg battery cable to frame connection or the main dogbone fuse inside the solenoid. its easy to be fooled by the main as it will look good and be bad. installing an aftermarket fuse holder usually cures this. has the connector for the 3 yellow stator wires been modified yet? these have a tendency to heat up and melt, resulting in non charging, bad stator issues. test voltage across battery at rest, at idle and at 3000 rpm. should be 12.5 off, a little above that at idle, 14.5/14.7 at 3000 rpm. welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Age and use is the culprit and if left alone will become nothing but a PITA. Get the bike going by what the others have suggested and then plan on spending a couple days verifying every wire, connector, plug. Open each connector/plug and spray with contact cleaner or brake cleaner then open close a few time to remove crap, spray again and then blow out with compressed air, THEN VERIFY the connection then go to the next. Every part of the electrical systems: lights, devices, starter, cables, wires, plugs, fuses, fuse holders. When these items age they have a build up of non conductive crap and 12 V is a low voltage and soon conductivity reduces then stops.

A revival works wonders, no gremlins, no intermittent problems, but it takes hard work and diligence but it pays off.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I had the same thing on a GL1000. It was a stripped out connector screw on the dogbone fuse. The heat fried several things in the area. It might be the ignition switch but I'd look at all the connections near the battery first. If you don't have a multimeter, get one at Harbor freight for nothing or close to nothing. You can use it to see if you get 12v on each side of the fuse. When you begin looking for bad connections, first disconnect the battery ground so you don't get a fireworks display.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

Thank you all for your advice. I feel like a dope, really. I went ahead and took it to the local dealership because the trailer I needed was only available to me this morning (borrowed it) I Should have checked here first and just rented a Uhaul if I couldn't find the problem myself.

I had forgotten there is a new ignition switch in the trunk because the orig owner said he at one point thought there a was a problem with but it turned out to be something else and he let me keep the replacement he bought. I feel stupid for that not being the first thing I thought to check after the fuses.

Arg I could kick myself for not checking back on the thread before taking it up there. At least now I know better. Thanks for all you responses. I think whatever the case with the shop I will follow ARKnapp and Trashtruck's advice and go over every thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.