Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this gold wing with the odometer showing 8k miles. I don’t really care if it’s accurate but it was purchased sight unseen from a dealer in the northeast. When the bike arrived, I noticed it was leaking oil from multiple places on the lower portion of the engine including the shift lever where it enters the case. Does it make sense to buy a gasket kit and do a partial rebuild or just find. A used engine. I appreciate your opinions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What size engine?
Firstly seals do not come in a gasket set
Secondly a used, unknown engine could be just as bad.

You need to thouroughly clean all the old oil off and identify exactly where the oil is leaking from then better advice can be given

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
I purchased this gold wing with the odometer showing 8k miles. I don’t really care if it’s accurate but it was purchased sight unseen from a dealer in the northeast. When the bike arrived, I noticed it was leaking oil from multiple places on the lower portion of the engine including the shift lever where it enters the case. Does it make sense to buy a gasket kit and do a partial rebuild or just find. A used engine. I appreciate your opinions.
as the forum is NOT showing us your bike into, would you please click on your Avatar in the top right corner of the page, then scroll down to "Account settings",
and then scroll down to Signature, highlight that, and enter your bike's info.
that will help us immensely with answering you with proper advise.

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
Not a lot of places for an 1100 to leak down low. The shifter seal is pretty often the only one. Once you replace it you can tell if it's leaking elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
What Dave said,the weep hole in the water pump can leak oil or coolant also

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,033 Posts
The most common place the 4 cylinder GW leak from is the shifter seal. The is especially true if the bike has a toe-heel shifter as part of floor boards. The shifter shaft is not supported at the output end and any torque can push the lever out of alignment and cause the seal to pop out. My 1200 had the problem. My 1100 has the same design.
The next most common area of leakage is the the camshaft seals. Both my GW have done this and least common place is the front crank seal. I have not had this problem.
It is possible it can leak around the oil filter, but that would just be from using old o'rings when doing an oil change.
The best thing to do is clean it up, inspect the shifter shaft oil seal to be sure it is seated. The other thing to look at is the crankcase breather tube. Early 1100s have a cup that catches any oil. If it has not been serviced it can clog the crankcase ventilation and cause oil to leak past good seals. The only other comment is this bake is almost 40 years old and the rubber will perish.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have swapped a 1200 engine because when somebody removed the lower engine bolt they cracked the castings, not a common fault but does happen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts