Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone, I'm a new member I just bought my first Goldwing!!!For $600:shock:
A 1981 GL1100 Interstate with just under 29k miles on it. I'll post her pic's later. she needs a little TLC (time & lots of cash) maybe not.
the guy i bought it from story was a little suspect but i had to buy her. it looks like the bike has had 240 miles put on it in the last 9-10 years by the last tittle. I got her started but it is only on #1 & # 3. 2 & 4 not firing. but they are getting spark and fuel. i thought maybe the coils but not likely. the clymer book says maybe the Pulse Generator but doesn't say how to check it. anybody know how to check the Pulse Generator or have any ideas I'd Appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

#1&2 fire off one coil and #3&4 fire off the other coil so it's not the coil or pulse generator. Sure it's getting fuel to the left carbs?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

NJ - Sounds like you have a project like mine.This past summer Irescued a 1980 GL1100 from a sixteen-year prison sentence in a barn. When I first started her up, it onlyran on 1cyl. of each side. Turned out to be the carbs. I tried to save the old ones, but the needles broke off in the carb body. I changed them out an got all four running. Also, check compression. It will be low but should be equal on all four. It will come up after your run her a while and things loosen up.

When I bought mine I thought, a little cleaning, some fresh fuel and I'm off and riding. Not so.....You will have a project but it's worth it. I hope to be done bu next summer.....

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

plugs are wet when taken out and i even swapped plugs around and they fire in the good cylinders. i got shoched pulling the plug wires while running. maybe too much fuel? I bought the clymer book today. gonna start with their trouble shooting suggestions.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

NJ-LEON wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm a new member I just bought my first Goldwing!!!For $600:shock:
A 1981 GL1100 Interstate with just under 29k miles on it. I'll post her pic's later. she needs a little TLC (time & lots of cash) maybe not.
the guy i bought it from story was a little suspect but i had to buy her. it looks like the bike has had 240 miles put on it in the last 9-10 years by the last tittle. I got her started but it is only on #1 & # 3. 2 & 4 not firing. but they are getting spark and fuel. i thought maybe the coils but not likely. the clymer book says maybe the Pulse Generator but doesn't say how to check it. anybody know how to check the Pulse Generator or have any ideas I'd Appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
Try this link for some sound advice on bringing her back.....

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/55455.html

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hi, Thanks for the positive support. I'm hopeing to be ridding next summer also. Best wishes on your's too.
a friend is supposed to hook me up with a compression gauge. I do have a project but not too bad. I'm thinking i have to rebuild the carb's and It's probably better to just do it. I'm hopeing that's the worst of the bike. the rest is tires, brakes and switching out fluids. I'll have pictures next week only have 35mm.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

Do not neglect to change the timing belts while you're at it.
Also check the connector in front of the battery, 3 yellow wires. If it hasn't been done already cut out the connector and solder the wires together, insulate with shrink tubing.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

If you have spark, and fuel all you lack is compression. Have you done a compression check on it? Could be the valves are hung up on that side, or possible bent if the timing belts were installed incorrectly from the previous owner. Just my thought.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

You will most likely get around to taking carbs apart and cleaning etc. but in the meantime you can do the following.

Make up a mix of 50/50 Sea Foam and gas. Drain the gas from all the carbs.Put drain screws back in. Unhook the fuel line from the fuel side of the fuel pump. Drain the tank and replace fuel filter. I would fill the tank back up with fresh gas and add an applicable amount of Sea
Foam and then turn petcock off.

Take the plugs out and spray some spray sea foam into the cylinders. Put the plugs back in.

I'm not sure if the 1100 will turn over with the kill switch off like the 1000's do but if it will then put the fuel line into the mixture of sea foam & gas. Ignition switch on, turn over for a few seconds to fill the carbs. You can also use gravity to fill the carbs but use the fuel line that goes from the fuel pump to carbs. Either way works.

Let the bike sit overnight. Drain the carbs again. Taking note to see if roughly the same amount of fuel comes out of each carb. Repeat the process. On the next day or so try starting the bike. Hook fuel line up so it runs off the gas in the tank. It will be hard to start and will run shitty, smoke like crazy ( open doors or do it outside). Sometimes you have to drain the carbs again as the 50/50 mix doesn't burn to well.

I've used this process on my old wing in getting the carbs to function reasonable well and it works. Also helps to lubricate the cyclinder walls ( which helps the rings) as any vehicle that sits for a long time will have some rust in the rings & cyclinders.

After you get it so that it will run evenly you should take it for a ride if possible and then adjust the idle to around 1050-1100.

After a week or so of driving you'll want to drain the carbs again. You'll be suprised what still comes out.

Good luck. Lots of fun getting these older wings to run.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hi, It's looking like the carbs, on Sunday i put a can of sea foam at first with only 1 gallon of ultra. but i was thinking to strong of a mix so i added another gallon of 93octane, so 2 gallons gas and i can of sea foam. I've ran a few times since sunday just long enough to warm it up some.
Well the sea foam must be working its magic #4 & 3 started intermintantly firing yesterday. #4 a little better. It's kinda hard to work on i had to stash the bike at a good friends house 40 miles away (i live in a condo). we kicked the wheelhorse out of its shed for the wing. soI'll let the sea foam work on carbs, I'm gonna try it in the crankcase also to clean it out plus the neutrul light is staying on and heard this might fix that too.
I'll keep posting progress. i took pictures but the film was old and pics came out bad. I'll put the best one with my profile.
Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.