Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. I bought a 1981 Honda gl1100 from a guy. It has a fairing on it, and a rack in the back. I believe it's a standard goldwing and and fairing is older aftermarket. I took it off yesterday and now my cooling system isn't working.

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
Either that is a coincidence or there was a switch on that fairing somewhere to turn on the fan.

Reactions: Dave grbrck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, there was a plug plugged into the fairing that's connected to a bunch of stuff that runs up to the guages and controls

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,269 Posts
How do you know the cooling system isn't working? What's it doing?
What part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because when the fairing was on, the bike would run cool and you could hear it kick on if in town riding around. It runs almost to 3/4s on the temp Guage. I live in south dakota

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
Because when the fairing was on, the bike would run cool and you could hear it kick on if in town riding around. It runs almost to 3/4s on the temp Guage. I live in south dakota
You are talking about the fan, not the cooling system entirely. If it was coming on by itself like it should I can't imagine why someone would wire it to something in the fairing. Probably just 2 wires you have to connect together.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Do you have a service manual or other wiring diagram?
If not, go back over what you disconnected to remove the faring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not. I could maybe find something on Google. I could try to trace down where the wires go to from the plug possibly. I honestly kind of miss the fairing on there. Lot more wind without it and no storage lol

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking. How would I find out which wires they are.
If there are wires in the fairing going to the fan they will not be in any wiring diagram, they were home brewed. Look for some wires that don't look like they belong coming up from the front of the engine where the fan sensor is.

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
Ok. I'll have to look at pictures to find where the sensor is at.
It's on the thermostat housing, see it by looking in from the right behind the radiator.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The easiest thing to do is put the fairing back on. You said you kinda missed it anyway. If the fans start working with the fairing on, bob's your uncle.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. I'll look at that. I know man, it looked good with it on. Does anybody know if those headlights are replaceable?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Do you know what brand it is?? Windjammer was a very popular fairing back then and probably the best for wind and other element protection. The plug would be for the turn signals and lights. Also radio if it has one.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,491 Posts
I do not. I could maybe find something on Google. I could try to trace down where the wires go to from the plug possibly. I honestly kind of miss the fairing on there. Lot more wind without it and no storage lol
Click on your avatar on the top right corner of the page,
then click on Conversations

sent you some stuff to help you out

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,269 Posts
I rode behind plexiglass fairings a lot of miles. They actually did a better job of blocking wind in your face than the 'Jammer. They also let you keep the "standard" look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts