Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:) Hello everyone! Thanks for allowing me to share your knowledge base!
As a former 1981 Honda Interstate rider/owner, I had to give it up for a number of years and almost thought I had gotten it out of my system 'til a friend convinced me to buy and restore a 1981 GL1100 standard model that had been sitting up for around 15 years or better. Yes, I'm aware what a daunting challenge it is! :shock:
As I immersed myself in Googlemania, preparing myself for the project at hand, I came across a note somewhere about a recall done in 1981 for the spacer on the rear axle to more properly align the rear wheel. My GW has only a flat washer between the frame and the wheel on the axle bolt head side. Any comments would be appreciated.
My Wing is yet to be started, due to problems related to rust and varnish from the fuel tank to the carbs and I'm presently engaged in the thorough cleanup of that mess. I'm looking for the carb synchronizer gauges as well and I'd appreciate any help on locating a good set of those, too.
Thanks all! I'm looking forward to sharing in the wealth of experience available here.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

The reason for the spacer was because Honda in their wisdom welded the swingarm legs in the wrong place, making the back wheel run on a different plane than the front. Of course Honda never enlightened owners about this until people started to complain, then they issued the spacer kit. I don't think it affected all 1100s, only some 80-81 models. I'm not sure though, someone else will be able to clear this up for you.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

It was the 1980 models thatwere affected, I suppose some 81s that shipped from the factory in 1980 will be affected as well. The swingarm was welded to it's mounting tube about half or three-quarters of an inch off centre.
To tell if you have this problem you need to identify the swingarm on your 1980 or early 81. This is done by looking at the rear end mount flange on the end of the arm. All 1980 swingarms at this point had a round collar that the main Swingarm tube slipped into . The 1981 revised right side swingarm was one diameter all the way to the rearend mount flange. The revised models don't need the bigger spacer that you mentioned as the swinger is welded in the correct place.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the "heads up", ;)
This bike was practically new when stored (only 7858 miles).
Should I replace the flat washer with the spacer or am I "good to go" as it was when dismantled?
Thanks "Als" for the input!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

If your bike doesn't have the collar at the end as Alan described, then just use the washer. The spacer won't work if yours is the later (properly welded) swingarm.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Gotcha' Ted, thanks! :cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Seems like you could track the wheels with a steel straight edge long enough to span both wheels. Or perhaps a taut string, that would tell you whether the wheels are in the same plane.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yeah, I like the string theory. That should work! Based on a closer examination, I've discovered that mine actually has both the washer and the spacer! Now I am curious...
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.