Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have the stock radio, I guess, and I can't figure out how to set the pre-sets. Did the Interstates come with a radio, as the owners manual doesn't have any details about the radio. Anyway, the radio/tape was made by Westport Labs and is model WL-230. Is there a trick to set the stations?

Also, when ever I turn off,and then back on, it's always on 88.7, which isn't a station. I fugure it'd stay on the station I set manually.It has power all the time as the current pre-sets stay in memory.

any help appreciated

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

You have an aftermarket car radio. GL1100s came with either a Clarion type I or Clarion type II radio. Only the Type II was available with a cassette. The cassette was a separate unit, not built into the radio and was only offered in 82 and 83.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Hi,

That seems odd that it holds the current presets, but still powers on at 88.7...no help from me there. As for making new presets, the one that almost always seems to work is -

1. Tune to the station you wish
  2. Hold in the preset button you want until it either beeps or displays the memory number on the display.
If that doesn't work, you may have a "Mem", "M", "P" or "Me"button somewhere that you push, then push the number of the preset. I'm just not familiar with the Westport series.

Jack

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Hi orbit398. If your radio/cassette is just a car type unit, it probably would be cheaper to just buy another one than go to the bother and expense of tracking a fault. The only OEM units Honda ever used on Goldwings are Clarions and Panasonics.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

orbit398 wrote:
I have the stock radio, I guess, and I can't figure out how to set the pre-sets. Did the Interstates come with a radio, as the owners manual doesn't have any details about the radio. Anyway, the radio/tape was made by Westport Labs and is model WL-230. Is there a trick to set the stations?

Also, when ever I turn off,and then back on, it's always on 88.7, which isn't a station. I fugure it'd stay on the station I set manually.It has power all the time as the current pre-sets stay in memory.

any help appreciated
More than likely, you just have a blown fuse. There are two fuses for the radio - one that powers it normally, and one that keeps the presets and clock when the bike is turned off (that one is powered at all times regardless of key position). If this fuse is blown, you will get the operation you are describing.

In my 82 GL1100 both fuses are behind the left front turn signal - remove the signal light and you'll see them. I wouldn't be surprised if the 81 is the same.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
In my 82 GL1100 both fuses are behind the left front turn signal - remove the signal light and you'll see them. I wouldn't be surprised if the 81 is the same.
Yes they are, crammed in with the rest of the maze of wires.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

THe GL1100 is a real rats maze of wires when the audio system is fitted. Small hands definitely needed. :?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dadoo

1981 Wings had the Type I Clarion radio, it was set up for AM/FM and Intercom.

The Type II's came out in 1982 and had an optional casette deck and CB.

If your radio and speaker all fit in the same housing, it is deffinately an aftermarket unit, some people cut up the fairing and made their own install plates, and there were a couple of aftermarket companies that made plates to hold the radio in the lower left fairing.

If you have an aftermarket radio, just replace the unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.