Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I searched for a parts cross reference, but alas, could not discover.
Can anyone guide me there?

Since 81 only goes to 85, I was thinking maybe a 78 or 79.
What do ya think?
Thanks
 

·
Senior Something
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

I have some part numbers, They should be compatible but might look different.

37200-431-671 SPEEDOMETER ASSY. '78
37200-431-781 SPEEDOMETER ASSY. '79

37200-463-671 SPEEDOMETER ASSY. - ALL'80
37200-463-742 SPEEDOMETER ASSY.- ALL '81
37200-MB9-671 SPEEDOMETER ASSY.- ALL '82
37200-463-??? '83 ?
37200-MG9-671 SPEEDOMETER ASSY. 84

Part numbers from different books do not always coincide.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,328 Posts
imported post

The mounting is different which each year by a hair..can be forced but don't fit right on..for 1100..the 83 change the idiot light from shock air pressure to over drive so the wiring is different..but can be changed.

The 1000's are different too. NO idiot light as no air shocks
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,169 Posts
imported post

I have 1 in my 1100 that goes to 150mph, don't know what it is from but it has no speed sensor in it as I believe all 1100s did for either the turn signal buzzer or self canceling. Had to make spacers for the mounting but otherwise it fits fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for your rapid responses fellows. I see some on ebay now up to 82 seems to only go to 85. Bidding on set and watching a couple stand-alone speedo's. If only 81 will fit well, then probably go with that if can win one. I was wondering how much for a generic that might fit like dave is talking about. btw thank dave for shock air answer also.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,169 Posts
imported post

I am betting a GL1000 speedo will fit right in, that may be what I have in my 1100. Plenty of those on ebay.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,183 Posts
imported post

morriscatt wrote:
Thanks for your rapid responses fellows. I see some on ebay now up to 82 seems to only go to 85. Bidding on set and watching a couple stand-alone speedo's. If only 81 will fit well, then probably go with that if can win one. I was wondering how much for a generic that might fit like dave is talking about. btw thank dave for shock air answer also.
Only the '83 went to 150 mph. The '82 was still 85. Also, the shock light versus the OD light on the '83 was on the tachometer, not the speedometer. Different gauge....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,183 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I have 1 in my 1100 that goes to 150mph, don't know what it is from but it has no speed sensor in it as I believe all 1100s did for either the turn signal buzzer or self canceling. Had to make spacers for the mounting but otherwise it fits fine.
The '83 speedo should have only 4 wires coming out of it. 2 wires for the light, the other two for the cancelling sensor. How many does yours have?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I have not pulled mine yet, however, if I have canceling signal they do not work. Hope to check out tomorrow cause it is gonna hit 45 here. :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,169 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
I have 1 in my 1100 that goes to 150mph, don't know what it is from but it has no speed sensor in it as I believe all 1100s did for either the turn signal buzzer or self canceling. Had to make spacers for the mounting but otherwise it fits fine.
The '83 speedo should have only 4 wires coming out of it. 2 wires for the light, the other two for the cancelling sensor. How many does yours have?
No wires other than the lights. I don't need the speed sensor anyway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
imported post

I just recently tried to put an earlier speedo on an 82. They do not mount the same. I'm sure you can make it work, but I just put on a mini until I can find an 82 or 83.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,837 Posts
imported post

I had the same poblems on m 1100.turned out it as the ajustment on thefont wheel spacers.the speedo drive mechanisum was not full enagining on the wheel end. all I neede was to ajust the preload on the front wheel axle nuts.

Kind hard to sxplain but just set the whel andaxle up using the manual and wil wok

Wilf
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,837 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
I had the same poblems on m 1100.turned out it as the ajustment on thefont wheel spacers.the speedo drive mechanisum was not full enagining on the wheel end. all I neede was to ajust the preload on the front wheel axle nuts.

Kind hard to sxplain but just set the whel andaxle up using the manual and wil wok

Wilf
i'mnotfixing the mistakes caused b y bum keys on laptop
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,837 Posts
imported post

On the question of wiring I was thinking of putting a 1000 speedo on but after pulling the speedo loose and looking at all the wiring that was inside Ideciced against removing it any further. Not shure what all the wires do but it was full
Wilf
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Dang
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Could electrical problem alone cause speedometer and odometer to stop working?

I was working on the 4-gauge panel on my 1981 GL1100i (but did not work directly on the speedometer), and now the speedometer does not work. No needle or odometer movement, but I can feel the cable moving where it unscrews from the rear of the speedo. The turn signal warning buzzer also has stopped working. Gauge lighting works fine! Could an electrical problem alone cause the speedo and odo to stop working? Is there a "fix"? Thanks in Advance! Tom in Florida
 

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Joined
·
59,687 Posts
tj00093

Please start a new thread in the Technical section for your problem. You will get much better responses from the guys IF they see a brand new thread, not a very old one from 3 years ago that is being tagged onto
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top