Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello,

I recently bought my bike andI just pick up a couple of timing belts. I am wondering if anyone can send me the instructions on installation. I have check around on getting a manual but the local shops don't have any and it will take a week to get. I plan to ride this weekend and it be a big help to have shop manual pages.

thanks

email to [email protected]

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Go to this thread. Scroll down to GSMaclean's reply, 2/3 of the way down. He explains it really well, and there's a photo to click on with arrows.Good luck, it's pretty simple. Just don't use any tools on the belts to try and pry them on/off, and don't apply extra pressure on the tensioners, just let them spring back on the belts to tension them. Start it up after, and if they squeal they might need a little tightening.    http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/2237.html

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

One important tip: rotate the engine 360º by hand, using the back wheel or alternator bolt, and see if the camshaft timing marks align with the case with the timing mark T-1 lining up at the enging case mark. Better to do this manually first to make sure it's all in exact alignment, and avoid valve/rod/piston colllisions and cause damage. Then you can start it up in confidence, and only need to re-adjust tension if the belts squeal.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
One important tip: rotate the engine 360º by hand, using the back wheel or alternator bolt, and see if the camshaft timing marks align with the case with the timing mark T-1 lining up at the enging case mark. Better to do this manually first to make sure it's all in exact alignment, and avoid valve/rod/piston colllisions and cause damage. Then you can start it up in confidence, and only need to re-adjust tension if the belts squeal.
This cautionary note is important and puts it all in a nutshell. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
Go to this thread. Scroll down to GSMaclean's reply, 2/3 of the way down. He explains it really well, and there's a photo to click on with arrows.Good luck, it's pretty simple. Just don't use any tools on the belts to try and pry them on/off, and don't apply extra pressure on the tensioners, just let them spring back on the belts to tension them. Start it up after, and if they squeal they might need a little tightening. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/2237.html
Nice call! Thanks for the reference link.:clapper::clapper::clapper:Hey mag, I added mana if it works.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Hey Teacher, glad to help. Hope it works out. This is one area you can legitimately mess up the Wing, so take your time, and check your work several times over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.