Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

had engine out to put a starter clutch and chain in it..put it back in all it will do is back fire...timming marks are right on the money...new plugs.shut gas off shot starting fluid in it still the same thing..what could of i got wrong on the back of the engine???

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

Did you connect the pulse generators up correctly? If you connected them in the wrong places they will cause a backfire.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Blue and Yellow wires on the coils may be reversed. This willput the ignition timing 180 degrees out.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

thats what i'd be bettin on jackjohn i almost did the same problem

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

If you didn't get the pulse generator shaft lined up correctly with the pin on the crankshaft or if the pin fell out the ignition timing will be out.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

wires on coils are right didnt take them off..so if pin fell out or the pulse generator is not right means pulling the engine again or is there a way to check it with out pulling the engine??

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

You could remove the PG cover and see if you can turn the shaft independently of the crank shaft.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If you put the pulse gen in 180 degrees it will cause that. Did you turn over the motor while the pg was out? If put back in on wrong stroke sequence will give 180 out. Swap the blue and yellow coil wires. Happened to my 83. Easy to do other than pulling the motor again.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

You could remove the swingarm to get to the PG, it's about the only way or pull the engine back off..check the vacuum while your there on the vacuum advance..

·
Premium Member
504 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

Sir you must pull off the swingarm to have access to the pg and remove it..Of the engine must come out..Swingarm is less hassal...but still a big pain in the butt..just time consuming

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

i switch the plug wires around front to back..engine started had a fuel leak caught it on fire..was going to pull the carbs to day..but thought i would make sure were fuel was comeing from started it and it runs with no leaks..CAN SEALS DRY OUT FROM SETTING..IT HAS SET SENCE LAST FALL..AND CAN THEY SEAL UP WHEN FUEL GETS TO THEM????ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.