Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Goldwing '82 standard (35K miles) and over this winter it started to leak antifreeze from the right side coolant line that attatches the top of the head where the coolant pipe connects to the head. I noticed that it only does this at certain temps. outside. I see the gasket I need is available new from Honda yet.

Can I just drain the coolant and remove the 2 small bolts, remove old gasket and install new one....is it that simple? Or is there more involved to replace that gasket?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Easy as it looks, just be carefull not to damage the tube.

Use a LITTLE gasket shelac for the gasket install. Also, IF it were me, I would replace the two o-rings on the tube while you are there. There is a good chance they will leak if disturbed. I would try a GOOD hardware store (NOT H/D or Lopes) for the rings, as many times I have found the ones I need at a fraction of the cost of Honda.

Bill

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering if the tube would leak if it was moved to replace the gasket. Are there "O" rings on each end of the tube that would need to be replaced?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I've cut new gaskets for the coolant elbows on top of the heads from gasket stock. I also believe it's best to replace the o-rings on the other end of the tubes. There's no telling how long they've been in there getting harder over the years from the heat.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
parts ordered

Thanks for the help on this! The parts on E-bay are on their way. Thank you, thank you!

Next question....the 2 carb. tubes going to the head, do I need to remove those elbows to complete this task? Or is it better to work around them and leave them alone?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Thanks for the help on this! The parts on E-bay are on their way. Thank you, thank you!

Next question....the 2 carb. tubes going to the head, do I need to remove those elbows to complete this task? Or is it better to work around them and leave them alone?
You can do it either way, there should be room to do the job without disturbing the intake runners or you could unbolt them to get more access. If you do remove them from the head you'll likely need new o-ring seals for the head to intake joint.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Just remove the 90 degree elbow from the head, once you do that the tube just slides out, and also slides out the other end attached to the joint in the center of the coolant manifold.

Remove the old o-rings, clean all joints and surfaces, and reassemble everything. Remember to use a light amount of gasket sealant on the gasket, and a very light coating of grease on the o-rings to keeps the rings from bunching up or getting pinched when reassembling.

On my '83, the coolant tubes would only leak when the bike was cold, when it warmed up the o-rings would swell, and seal the joint.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can do it either way, there should be room to do the job without disturbing the intake runners or you could unbolt them to get more access. If you do remove them from the head you'll likely need new o-ring seals for the head to intake joint.
Thanks, that's what I was concerned about.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Don't be surprised if the elbow doesn't want to come off once the bolts are out. They tend to get stuck to the gasket.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just remove the 90 degree elbow from the head, once you do that the tube just slides out, and also slides out the other end attached to the joint in the center of the coolant manifold.

Remove the old o-rings, clean all joints and surfaces, and reassemble everything. Remember to use a light amount of gasket sealant on the gasket, and a very light coating of grease on the o-rings to keeps the rings from bunching up or getting pinched when reassembling.

On my '83, the coolant tubes would only leak when the bike was cold, when it warmed up the o-rings would swell, and seal the joint.
That is what this '82 has been doing. I first noticed it back in December. I would dry up the antifreeze in the dips on top of the head where it would pool up. Then no leaks for a while. ?? It took me a bit to pin point it. Then when the temps outside would moderate it would start to seep again. Again, thanks to all for the input on this. I look forward to getting it ready to go when warmer temps arrive here in Iowa.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.