Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I can do this...

I am humbly asking for suggestions and things to consider or understand about this bike...

Or these sorts of projects.

Gallery HERE:

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
all I can say is its been standing outside for many years. uncovered. you can probably scotch brite all the paint and clear it, the bike may look much better. mechanically its a crap shoot. I am good at $400 as it sets.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
A case of beer and he helps you load it would be my top offer.:ROFL:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of stripping the fairing and bags off of it and making it into a rat bike commuter for sunny days.

What's the gas mileage like on the 1100's in good working order. Can anyone comment?

Oddly, everything seems to be there and relatively unmolested. It's pretty much complete except for the bag lids are missing.

T

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
About 40 mpg if it's running in top notch condition. Saddle bag lids would be expensive and a new fairing, seen that one was broke on the right side, would set you back an easy $300-400. The several question I ask, does it turn over? How long has it been sitting? According to the license plate, it hasn't been registered since March of 2006. The mileage would be a good indication on how much it was ridden. If we go off averages, the bike should have over 125k. One plus for the bike if it works, the Clarion radio

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
you should ride it a while as a dresser you may love it as well as we all do

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About 40 mpg if it's running in top notch condition. Saddle bag lids would be expensive and a new fairing, seen that one was broke on the right side, would set you back an easy $300-400. The several question I ask, does it turn over? How long has it been sitting? According to the license plate, it hasn't been registered since March of 2006. The mileage would be a good indication on how much it was ridden. If we go off averages, the bike should have over 125k. One plus for the bike if it works, the Clarion radio
Wingman... I salute you sir! I was sort of hoping you'd chime in. (no pun intended here, seriously!) Your thoughts are welcome. I have to figure you are a smart man... even if we disagree on other issues... and after all... this is "your" bike here.

• 59K on the clock.
  • Inside of the tank is coated with rust but I know some tricks.
  • I have to figure the carbs will have to be "done."
  • Fork seals are leaking (It looks recent. It has been recently moved.) but the chrome on the forks appears unscathed.
  • Engine looks to be clean and there are no obvious leaks.
  • Rotors look good and the calipers are not leaking.
  • I am thinking, this bike weighs far less than either of the 1500's.... I could probably handle it a bit better as a daily rider... maybe trike it later.

T

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
59K means the bike averaged a little under 2k a year. Carb work, if you don't do it yourself will be about $500. If it were me, I would want to know if it even turns over before I bought it. I would want to turn it slowly by hand. The rings may have pitted the cylinder walls if it has sat in the same position (the engine not being turned over) for 7 years. If the motor does turn over easily, it maybe salvaged. If it doesn't, well then at worst case scenario, a complete motor overhaul.

Now we are on to the brakes. Every brake seal will need to be replaced in the calipers and master cylinders. I wouldn't trust them, remember it has sat for 7 years. One place the bikes like to rust is on the left side where the sub frame mounts to the frame right below the battery. Since it looks like it spent alot of time outside I'd check that.

Not a big fan of parting out a complete bike, but there quite a few issues concerning it. May need deep pockets even to make it a rat bike.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
That's a lot better place than where I started from all those years ago, and I've only just got through with it!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Your considering a project bike, something to convert to a rat/cruiser, and your #1 question is fuel economy?

Seriously??

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your considering a project bike, something to convert to a rat/cruiser, and your #1 question is fuel economy?

Seriously??
Good point! I will have to dwell on this to full fruition.

T

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
If I could get it for $300 or maybe $400 I think I'd buy it.
Probably a long term project to get it running good and road ready though, and may not be cheap depending what all it needs.

I'd give a gentle little push in gear and ease out the clutch and see if engine turns or back wheel skips. Best to do by hand if you can, but not always easy to put tools to someone else's bike.

Check the engine for coolant in the oil! Check if the brakes work. Try them a couple times.
If they work ok now you might get lucky and just should rebuild them for safety since there old and been sitting. If they do nothing or hard like locked, you may not be able to rebuild them and need whole new masters and calipers. If the rear works but does not release pull up on the foot lever as they sometimes get gummy and stick, but just need the pivot pin cleaned.

Carbs may need rebuilt, expensive for the good kits, cheap kits probably not worth getting!

I lucked out when I had to do my fork seals, seals were leaking but the dust covers were fine and bushings looked new. So just seals cost me about $10-$15 for the set I think

Timing belts of course need changed, about $30 for both at auto store, if you go to Honda to get them then about $180 LOL

Personally if I got it I'd probably clean it up and keep it a full dresser.
From what I can see in the picture, that fairing may not be too bad. The outside looked ok, might just be that inner panel broke and easy fix. Cut it square and put a cover over it, make it a pocket or mount something like accessory power plugs or a cup holder. That is what I am going to do with a faring I got for my 82 which is broke on the inner panel only.

An 82 is a nice bike, mine is an interstate, got about 42MPG on trips as I recall, mostly Interstate riding so 65-75mph.
Not sure about city as I never really ride around in cities.
And it ran well on 10% ethanol LOL

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Too bad the bag lids are missing! If you get the bike it's going to take awhile to get it ready to ride anyway so if you watch and ask around you might be able to find lids at a decent price if you decide to keep her dressed.

I've got an extra set of bags and lids and tons of other parts, bought 1/2 an 82I awhile ago. Not sure what all I need or want to keep yet though.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Chromo... that's good advice and food for thought.

T

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Between Chromo and myself we should be able to to come up with the body parts you need. as long as the motor isn't seized it CAN be resurrected. As stated before you can pat it out and make more than $400. I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Computing some likely costs... anyone have a source and part number for buying timing belts from a auto parts store?

T

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.