Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hey now, only the E10 thread is mine, the E15 belongs to someone else!

I was bored stuck waiting for some calls and things were slow here. I figured tires, oil, deer whistles..... were all beat to death used up already so thought I'd do something less beaten. :ROFL:

I see no real reason to consider it just a junker parts bike just yet either.
I'd watch how much I was spending on it though, but even if it turns out to be for parts later it would be good to know what parts work and what parts don't correct??
I mean if the engine is good it's worth something as a part, if it's toast it's not.
Agreed... that's basically where I am at... just wanna see if the engine can be salvaged as "running." From there, I'll decide what I want to do next.

I'm am truly sorry for being such a moron... but out of the context of the original post... I had absolutely no clue which way to take either of CM85's first two comments. I was actually trying to draw him out into offering more commentary on his suggestions for single carb conversions...

But I suspect he is gone now...

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Gone? Where would I go?
A parts bike to be parted-out was what I intended to mean.
In that, yes... there would need work to be done just to part it out with any measure of worth on many facets. CANNOT blindly throw a rack of carbs out there for the taking as though it were a lamb to wolves. Everybody loses with that approach. Rarely are winners found when selling and buying with so little care involved. Been my experience anyway. Need to know exactly what you're selling so Brother-Man next to 'ya knows exactly what he is buying. Sometimes it is hard though, ...spending the needed time to get to know some poor bike just to get rid of it. All bikes are more than their sum total of parts to me. All of them.

I ran a Tiger carb set-up on a Bonneville for its simplicity. Worked fine for me.

...lemme know if I can help. I'm short on time lately, but always willing to be available at the least.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
"At this point, it has really taken on deeply personal and spiritual dimensions which revolve mostly around challenging myself to resurrect this GL1100 power plant. I want to know I can do this. I am trying to show due diligence here. I am reading... a lot! I am puttering around with the start-up... taking my own sweet time. Disolving, scratching, picking and vacuuming the rust and grime out of the number four spark plug well. The drain port on that one was clogged and as a result I got this"

I totally understand the feeling. I am a sucker for a project like that. I feel a need to "rescue" old neglected vehicles. But after a similar project with an '85 1200 LTD, I would think long and hard before attempting it again.
Taking on a 1200LTD or SEI is a major undertaking. So many parts unavailable though there are quite a few auto parts that can be rigged for the bikes such as the TPS. I started out with a SEI that had been in an accident. I was lucky in that it didn't need too much though I had to haunt eBay for a couple of trip computers to salvage parts from to get that working as well as a couple sensors. Once running it was an outstanding bike. It's a pity Honda didn't keep the EFI and computer on the 1500s. I'm of the same opinion now, I wouldn't try rebuilding one of the 1200 EFI models even though they were one of the best of all Goldwings. Much more cost effective now to restore a carbed model now that Randakk has new CV slider diaphragms. Those and a 1500 rear end substitution and you've got a couple of major improvements on the 1200.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Gone? Where would I go?

...lemme know if I can help. I'm short on time lately, but always willing to be available at the least.
I am sincerely glad I did not run you off and apologize for any misunderstandings of my somewhat wild sense of humor.

As for the 1100 I have on the stand; I am just easing into it... slowly! I want to enjoy this. It's not about the money for me. (Although I will add the caveat here that I have a very modest income and need to be mindful of cost.) But things can be stretched out if your income is regular and dependable.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about "getting to know" a bike. These are my children here... and I have taken in an older stray that on the surface is a bit ruffed up. As to whether it was abused or just neglected... remains to be seen.

I am following a plan. As to the worthiness of the plan... this also remains to be seen.

T

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I cracked open the oil pan to let it drain... I am encouraged.

There is some settlement, but generally speaking I think it looks good.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
..looks like the oil was kept up. Doesn't look all that dirty.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Pictures, good and clear, make a world of difference.
That bike is a rider.
Not as bad as I original envisioned.
Mechanically... I think you're on to something good.
Don't know about all the electrics up on the fairing, but from what I see of things mechanical, that bike is a easy rider. Lots of cleaning to do. Bring all the maintenance up and tackle the carbs.
Me? Looking at what I can see of the fairing stuffs, ...so far I'd strip it down into a standard and build the fairing stuff up to what is good-enough to use.
Maybe I'm getting old, but a fairing is part of what I want in a ride. Probably because I've more cold than hot where I'm at?

Not too bad IMO.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
It looks a lot like mine did to begin with, without the rust. Things just don't rust here in AZ. It was BADLY sun baked though.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
If you take your time bar a major malfunction I think you are on the right path to a resurrected Oldwing. Check out my resurrection of an 81.

http://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=5340
Thanks dude...

I have been thinking long and hard about those carbs. I pulled the drain plug on number one last weekend and about two ounces of the greenest, nastiest smelling gook drained (slowly) out. I am not sure they can be restored. We'll see...

In the mean time I got all "jiggy" with her tail end last night.

Galley here: Getting the old girl naked!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Interesting Thread to follow for sure.
I am in the process of "reviving" my 1984 Interstate.
This is my first wing. I took the approach with this that I do with all my toys, drivers, necessary implements.

If I expect absolutely trouble free from the gate, I better expect to pay the $$ for either brand new or well kept maintenance records or expect to buy low and put some $$$/time into it. Doesn't always work but...

Otherwise, you just don't know what you have and paying top dollar for it you may be fooled. Looking nice doesn't always mean solid.

I bought my 84 for what I considered a low average price and I knew the owner. Of course when I went to the local stealer they had a very pretty one, they really felt they had to try to talk me into. but for the price I would have still had to do some to it to ensure I had a solid dependable machine.

Mine looked ok, but I could tell it needed some work.

I figure yea I might have more into it, than others out there on the street today. At least on a modest budget it is a little at a time. However, I know what I have, what's new and what still needs TLC and I won't have invested as much as a much newer ride or even a Brand New one. (don't like the latest models much anyway)

Keep at it as long as she is pleasing to you and looks to be promising you will be well rewarded in the end.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Interesting Thread to follow for sure.
I am in the process of "reviving" my 1984 Interstate.
This is my first wing. I took the approach with this that I do with all my toys, drivers, necessary implements.

If I expect absolutely trouble free from the gate, I better expect to pay the $$ for either brand new or well kept maintenance records or expect to buy low and put some $$$/time into it. Doesn't always work but...

Otherwise, you just don't know what you have and paying top dollar for it you may be fooled. Looking nice doesn't always mean solid.

I bought my 84 for what I considered a low average price and I knew the owner. Of course when I went to the local stealer they had a very pretty one, they really felt they had to try to talk me into. but for the price I would have still had to do some to it to ensure I had a solid dependable machine.

Mine looked ok, but I could tell it needed some work.

I figure yea I might have more into it, than others out there on the street today. At least on a modest budget it is a little at a time. However, I know what I have, what's new and what still needs TLC and I won't have invested as much as a much newer ride or even a Brand New one. (don't like the latest models much anyway)

Keep at it as long as she is pleasing to you and looks to be promising you will be well rewarded in the end.
Bro...

Wakarimas.

I am trying to hold myself aloof from the appeal of this machine until I can determine the voracity of the power plant. For the most part all of my expenditures at this moment are directed toward that target.

WILL... IT... RUN? I am following a plan.

As I do not have an unlimited budget I am addressing the dis-assembly, tagging and taking photographic documentation... because I figure, if I end up parting it out, this effort will not have been wasted.

On that note... I offer a gallery of today's offerings:

HERE!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
That is the direction I took. I had a running machine so I spent what time I could this last summer assessing what exactly she was going to need.

Keep at it, you will know for sure.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Updated images...

I got tired of waiting to start the engine and got naked with the old girl...

Sometimes Carrie likes to "photo bomb" my images...

Going "single-carb."

I hope that doesn't cause the stir my already having two darkside bikes has caused...

"Ah don't want no fights now!"
Robert earl Keen Jr., 1981

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I've worked on worse. Two of the most important tools in reworking one of these neglected old bikes are a 3/4-1hp 8" or larger grinder fitted with a wire wheel, both fine and coarse, and a buffing wheel and selection of buffing paste.
All those aluminum parts will buff up to a mirror finish if you buff them up. All the steel parts need the old paint on the metal parts that aren't plated need the paint removed, reprimed and painted. I also wire wheeled the bolts and other fittings to remove rust and corrosion. A touch on the buffer with the fastenenings will make them look nicer.
I never tried to make museum quality rebuilds but reworked them to look like a well cared for oldwing. All cables should be replaced including the speedo and tach cable. It's worth the expense for a better riding motorcycle and keeps the gauges from squalling and the tach and speedo needles from being nervous.
It's going to be a long job in hours worked but I can tell you there's a lot of satisfaction and pleasure to make her look run good.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Hey! ...there's a girls head stuck to the back of your front fender!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Looking pretty good there.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.