Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have not driven the bike in a couple of days, it did seem to get about 3/4 up the temp gage but not to the red the last few times driving home.

it seems to be leakingi don't know where, radiator area?around where the exhaust

boltd on?

What should i start pulling apart? maybe waterpump?? headgasket??

any help please:?Scot

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

treack it down, it has to trickle from somewhere, the weep hole maybe? gotta find the leak before pulling anything apart, would be a pita to fix what is not broke

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

take the wifes mirror!!!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

ok looking in where the sparkplugs are there is a puddle of antifreeze sitting on top of the engine
also see a little moisture around the bottom of the timing belt cover

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

there are tubes or pipes across the top of the engine, you have gaskets on 1 end and orings on the other, it is likely the gaskets on top of the heads leaking, problem is when you pull them out you need to replace the orings on the other end, so get them before you start, the coolant on the under side of the timing belts could just be run off from the top. the carb stands will likely have to come off to get the pipes out but the carbs may be able to stay so might as well get the orings for the carb stands while you are at it. if you use any silicone act like its gold, dont use any more than a LIGHT film, dont need this stuff in the radiator. take your time and you will be ok,,,, now for the bottom of the timing belt cover take some brake cleaner and spray it off , this stuff dries in like a couple seconds so you will be able to track down where that moisture is comming from

oh, how much oil and grease did you get on mommas mirror? gotta be some compensation for that, i suggest a nice dinner both of you can enjoy

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thanks much, also i have never changed the timing belts would this be a good time for that???

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

well it has 84k on it, yes this would be a good time for the belts if you dont have proof of their history

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

the tube is the one when you look between the intake manifold on both sides

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

guys you arn't going to belive this after taking the radiator out the little black hose going to neck next to radiator cap was rotten. iam thinking the fluid drained from resavor tank down and out onto the floor,maybe huh??
there was no moisture around the tube. but since i am changing the timing belts had to take the radiator out anyway this is what i found

Thanks Scot

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

great!! maybe you wont have to pull those pipes out, its not that bad to do but very exacting when put back together, wish you had locked down the leak but i think i would blame it on the hose and replace that and try it. m,ake sure however there is a way the coolant could get onto the top of the engine from the hose in question

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks Randy and Wayne iam going to have the radiator flushed while it out and get a new hose now for the timing belts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.