Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i put new belts on 2yrs ago about 15000 miles.putting new hoses on thought i would check belts took mesurement belts as sitting on bike.left side from7/8 to 1 inch play right side 5/8 to3/4 play should i re adjust or leave alone?that is the play from just touching belts. the amount of play the belts move:?:?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Deflection measurements without a fishscale are not really valid. If there is any question I would reset them. Position it at # 1 TDC and set the left side then rotate 90 degrees on the crank and the RH side should be upside down (180 out on the Cam). Now set the RH Side. Let the spring do it's thing, do not help it or you risk placing too much tension on the rollers and destroying your tensioners.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Is that right? rotate(crank?) 90* or should it be 180*???

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

yeah i do believe it's 180* to be honest i'm doing this today so i'll let you know in about an hour or so to be exactly sure :D

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Actually now that I think about it we are all wrong!! 360 on the crank makes for 180 on the cam.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

when you turn the engine to T1 either piston 1 or 2 is at TDC. it really doesn't matter much if you line up the lines on the cam pulley where they should be. I say, the left belt (sitting on the bike) is easy to line up, and then you need to turn the right cam and carefully line up the pulley to where it should be then slip the belt on. took me alittle while tonight, but i'm sure working in the dark makes a difference! and if the belt seems to have alot of slack then with the belt already on the tensioner rotate cam to tighten belt, this lets tension off the tensioner springs where you can readjust and tighten the 12mm bolt. worked for me!!

and i just got my wing back on the road :dude: this is the best feeling in the world!

chris

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

What brand of belts did you use? They should not have stretched that much in that few miles.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

. took me alittle while tonight, but i'm sure working in the dark makes a difference!chris
Where you literally in a dark place like a driveway at night or was that a figure of speech:D

I had this same situation when I swapped mine out. The OIG honda belts had the right pulley 1 tooth off. I re installed the correct way everything lined up and noticed no diffference in operation.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

my belts were honda.i dont think they are streched.what i was after was the amount of play in the belts.if i was looking at the tape right i have about 1/4 inch of play.are they to tight.or do i need to reset tension.been this way for awhile.just want to set them right while i am there.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

the answer that was given is that one person may push the belts lightly and get a different reading from a person with gorrila strength.

A fish scale will give the the best measurement.
I didnt use a fiish scale but then again I seldomly use a tourque wrench to tourque things down.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

yeah it was meaning both, i was in a dark place because sad i bent a valve and haven't riden in over 4 months, also dark because it was 7pm in a poorly lit driveway haha, mighty little flash light did wonders. AND i even got to take a victory ride last night, a short one but it feels good to be back on a bike.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I bet the 2 wheels are glad to see you again also
enjoy the ride
jose

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.